#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no doubt that Sterling is an elite level forward, his numbers prove it. But the crazy thing with him is that you expect an elite level player to be able to do most, if not all, basic things on the pitch. Like controlling a ball, like running without tripping over your own feet, or kicking the ground first, or missing more than an acceptable amount of sitters. He’s extremely frustrating for this reason. His stats are elite, but his technique is not. It’s the last thing you expect to be lacking in a top player, but with Sterling it is. He excites me and pisses me off in equal measure. We’d be fucked without him, he’s our goal threat. Yet often I’m left wishing he was better than he actually is. He’s such an odd player for me.
Any other team and you can wipe those stats in half I reckon.

World class in getting into all those situations/chances.

But what he does with those chances is not world class at all. His final moves/shots/ideas are often wrong. He overthinks it, he fumbles, he does not know what to do and messes it up far too often after working very hard to get into that chance.

The miss vs Lyon and also today one is so frustrating.

A world class striker might not even gets into so big chances as often as he does and credit to Sterling for that.
But when they do get into those situations they have that deep instinct to put the ball into the net even with their eyes closed.

Wonder what Pep feels as he had Messi, Lewandowski, Samuel Eto , David Villa, even Ibra as his former players who are all incredible goalscorers and dont mess around much with big chances.

How many times does he have to do it on the pitch before he's allowed to do a TV advert?

He's at 182 goals and assists at the moment, when does he get your permission to do commercial activities? 200? 250?

29 game winning goals, if you prefer that, how many before Gillette can give him a call?

He's scored 2 more goals than anyone else in the Premier League since the start of last season, but perhaps that should be higher before someone puts him on a poster? 10 goals more than anyone else? 20?

Please, let us know what he's got to do before he's allowed to do an advert.
You fuck off as a blue

World class in getting into all those situations/chances.

But what he does with those chances is not world class at all. His final moves/shots/ideas are often wrong. He overthinks it, he fumbles, he does not know what to do and messes it up far too often after working very hard to get into that chance.

The miss vs Lyon and also today one is so frustrating.

A world class striker might not even gets into so big chances as often as he does and credit to Sterling for that.
But when they do get into those situations they have that deep instinct to put the ball into the net even with their eyes closed.

Wonder what Pep feels as he had Messi, Lewandowski, Samuel Eto , David Villa, even Ibra as his former players who are all incredible goalscorers and dont mess around much with big chances.

The more Sterling has the ball the worse he looks, in my opinion. It was money time when he had those chances, world class players finish those. That is the difference - I think Foden would have finished both his and Marhrez chances

You fuck off as a blue
Probably black lives matters with you.
Well im white an irsh and very man city an catholic. Suppored my team before you became key board warrior to todays society

Yep I agree with most on here.
raheem is world class OFF the ball, but I’m afraid he is bang average on it.
His numbers are great but that comes from his off the ball work, it’s no fluke most of our chances come through him.
His touch is horrendous, his decision making terrible the lad can’t even kick a ball properly. There is a interview kicking about from his old qpr coach where he states that he was naturally on corner duties because of his size and they had to take Him off them because he couldn’t reach the box with a decent delivery at 14/15 years of age. We are now playing him as striker in a team wanting to win the league and champions league i want to pull my hair out. As seen with Lyon and yesterday and countless others, you can’t always play well as a team but title winning teams will get chances maybe one late on and you have to take them.
Son, Mane, Aubamayang play in his position and they bury that chance yesterday 9 out 10 times. In fact if any of them played in our system they would be on 40 a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.