#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any point giving him a new contract to "protect our asset", regardless of the number of years left on his contract no club in the world is paying over 50m for him.

He gets the team in some really good positions, last night it seemed like he was involved in our best going forwards. However often he trivialises these positions with an awful touch.

I thought he would coming into his prime now, his technical ability finally catching up to his football sense. He's no better on the ball now than he was 4 years ago.

An inverted left winger that can't shoot.

Time to move on and try something different, not necessarily better, but different.

Raz has reached his limit in this squad, not necessarily reached his limit footballing wise, but for him to improve he needs to be elsewhere . Raz is not a natural born goalscorer like kun, Raz has been coached to bring goals into his game, but without that born built in instinct to score it only takes you so far, and Raz has got so far. This is not rubbishing Raz he is an effective player but we need someone now who has instinct for finding space, finding the net, someone that it comes naturally too and then we can add the Pep coaching and guidance.

Is there any point giving him a new contract to "protect our asset", regardless of the number of years left on his contract no club in the world is paying over 50m for him.

He gets the team in some really good positions, last night it seemed like he was involved in our best going forwards. However often he trivialises these positions with an awful touch.

I thought he would coming into his prime now, his technical ability finally catching up to his football sense. He's no better on the ball now than he was 4 years ago.

An inverted left winger that can't shoot.

Time to move on and try something different, not necessarily better, but different.
We aren’t protecting anything by giving him a new deal. All we would be doing is anally probing ourselves to the tune of £15m per season for 4 or 5 years. A lot of people are saying it’s not his fault he was picked last night, or that other players were just as bad. Valid points, but what club offers a player a new £250k - £300k pw contract, if he can’t be trusted and selected for games? Crazy.

For me there’s 3 options, in order of preference:

1. Sell him this summer.
2. No new contract. See how it pans out next season and make a decision based on performances. Run the risk he then leaves with a year to go on his contract, or runs it down entirely.
3. New contract now and pray.

I don’t see Sterling returning to form in this current set up. We play a much more technical and methodical game now. We don’t play to his strengths and unless Pep has the idea that we will return to the Harlem Globetrotter style of 17/18 I don’t see it improving for Sterling. I actually think there are other clubs, with other playing styles out there, that are far more suited to his attributes. If he leaves and goes to the right club, I have no doubt he can return to form and make us look stupid for selling him. For me, it’s just tough shit if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.