#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
There aren't too many defences we'll face this year that will be as obliging, however, so when a defence is prepared to hold a higher line and Sterling is on, he has to make hay. He needs to go from posing a threat to being a threat, but that should apply to anyone tasked with that role.

Yeah I'd agree with that

He needs support and help to regain his confidence. He must have had 20 occasions since he last scored when put clean through. You know he will slow down and cut back onto his right foot. His finishing has never been great but right now it’s woeful.

Didn't happen. One ball over the top didn't have enough pace for him to run through properly the rest is just your mind already being made up that he's shit and I've got no time for the likes of you.

I don’t think you can argue that he was let down by a lack of pace with that chance, cos after Walker he’s probably the quickest player in the squad, but whether it’s due to a lack of confidence or a conscious slowing down to ensure he maintains control of the ball, he’s been overhauled in that same situation repeatedly over the course of the last 18 months or so. If that’s Mane at the other end, he strides forward and thumps it.
That one incident aside though, I thought he was reasonably sharp today and certainly fared better than the man he replaced

I thought Raz was proper dangerous when he came on and was at Chelsea too. He’s starting to become a decent impact striker

He had one thing on his mind when he was put through on goal and that was to pass the ball, even though there was nobody to pass to. Compare him to the super confident Salah in the same situation. His lack of confidence is only matched by his inability to control the ball, amongst other things.
One thing he is great at is getting himself into great goalscoring situations or ones where he can set someone up, but he just doesn't take adavantage.

He is a hindrance, not a help, and it would give me great pleasure if he moves somewhere else and sets the world on fire. The last two years have made it perfectly clear he won't be doing it here.

I don’t think you can argue that he was let down by a lack of pace with that chance, cos after Walker he’s probably the quickest player in the squad, but whether it’s due to a lack of confidence or a conscious slowing down to ensure he maintains control of the ball, he’s been overhauled in that same situation repeatedly over the course of the last 18 months ago. If that’s Mane at the other end, he strides forward and thumps it.
That one incident aside though, I thought he was reasonably sharp today and certainly fared better than the man he replaced
Until I see it again I will argue all night, or at least until this joint puts me to sleep :-)
On a serious note there's not much I disagree with. There was a Sterling not long ago who would have been far more clinical or aggressive at least.
My best hope for now is he gets a few games as an impact sub for the last 20 and does enough to rediscover some kind of confidence that earns him a start.
For now he's not in contention in the biggest games but he's not quite done yet.

Sterling showed improvement today which is great. But I still don't want him starting games.

I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems that when he is putting a player under pressure he chases great and then suddenly slows down just before he gets there. Its like an Olympic 98m sprinting champion.

Wish they’d work on setting sterling free in behind at a better angle...like a diagonal run aimed at center goal.

Too often he’s sent through on balls straight down the channel so he has to slow to chop in.

Passing patterns should be worked to lead him into space that gives him a better angle from the start in terms of approach and finishing options.

the most ruthless effective counter finishers (at least to me) seem often to be like a guided missile driving roughly to heart of goal with a good angle on net, like vardy, salah, mane, whoever. they don’t have to break stride to rip a shot.

And it’s because they are passed into that space with the confidence they can strike full speed with preferred foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.