#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's scored from 5 of his last 6 penalties and he's obviously made a concerted effort at volunteering for them post Euro 2020 so get used to him taking them would be my advice.
The guy has 4 scored and 4 missed from 8 penalties. I'm probably the biggest Raheem Sterling fan you're likely to find on this whole forum, I regularly refer to him as my favourite football player of all time and I've certainly made at least 100 posts defending him, but for any Premier League footballer a 50% conversion ratio is simply bad. I won't get used to him taking them because he's absolutely nowhere near our best taker of them and in any situation where the penalty is important I think Sterling taking them over Mahrez, De Bruyne or Gundogan would be a horrific idea.

On another note, Sterling now being the third top scorer in the Premier League is absolutely incredible considering how slowly he started the season.

Reactions: JDV
If that's true, why don't Grealish, Foden, Jesus or Mahrez get anywhere near the same criticism when they put in equally ineffective displays? It is literally only Raheem who gets criticised to the point where people say he should be sold even though he's actually a great deal more productive than most of them.
Ok whilst not as bad as Sterling, I would say Mahrez, Jesus, and Grealish have all got pelters by a number of fans looking to critique them at every opportunity across their respective City careers.

Not as bad as Sterling gets it I will readily admit, but acting like he's the only one is a bit disingenuous.

Ok whilst not as bad as Sterling, I would say Mahrez, Jesus, and Grealish have all got pelters by a number of fans looking to critique them at every opportunity across their respective City careers.

Not as bad as Sterling gets it I will readily admit, but acting like he's the only one is a bit disingenuous

Where did I act like he's the only one? Post clearly says none of them get "anywhere near the same criticism" and they don't. Look at Mahrez's thread today for an example, he was absolutely anonymous. Look at Foden's thread, he scored a lovely goal but did little else for the rest of the game. Both literally got fewer critical comments than Sterling did after scoring a hat-trick. It's absolutely absurd.

The guy has 4 scored and 4 missed from 8 penalties. I'm probably the biggest Raheem Sterling fan you're likely to find on this whole forum, I regularly refer to him as my favourite football player of all time and I've certainly made at least 100 posts defending him, but for any Premier League footballer a 50% conversion ratio is simply bad. I won't get used to him taking them because he's absolutely nowhere near our best taker of them and in any situation where the penalty is important I think Sterling taking them over Mahrez, De Bruyne or Gundogan would be a horrific idea.

On another note, Sterling now being the third top scorer in the Premier League is absolutely incredible considering how slowly he started the season.

He's scored from 5 of his last 6, and he's clearly keen on improving and taking more.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your penalty info from, maybe it'd be best you share it rather than state it.

Understat for example says Sterling in the EPL at City has taken 7 penalties and only scored 3, not very good.

I'd rather Mahrez, Gundogan or KdB take it over him, but he was on a hattrick and there was no risk so it was fine.

Getting back into his old form. Must say I was one who wrote him off, considering his steep slump was over a period of at least 18 months.

Please though, stop taking pens. Please. Heart in mouth stuff everytime he steps up.

If that's true, why don't Grealish, Foden, Jesus or Mahrez get anywhere near the same criticism when they put in equally ineffective displays? It is literally only Raheem who gets criticised to the point where people say he should be sold even though he's actually a great deal more productive than most of them.

I think the criticism of Sterling was made worse by Pep starting him every game despite his poor form. Grealish, Foden, Jesus or Mahrez are not automatic starters after 2 poor performances. Atleast that changed last season with Pep dropping him for the big CL games except for the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.