#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not a coincidence that both Raheem and Jack both had good games when there was more space than usual and we were in a commanding position for most of the game. When we don’t have space Jack plays it safe and Raheem often runs into blind alleys and loses the ball.

Jack gets called out for not doing enough offensively and Raheem for giving away possession or messing up a chance when he does get through.

He loses possession regularly and equally regularly he misses very simple scoring opportunities, like I say, I don't dislike him, how could I? I don't know him but he does not quite cut it for me in a City shirt and I think we'd be better off cashing in on him and getting a better replacement. I apologise if my opinion offend you... Plus I personally consider Mahrez to be a better alternative, though I agree, he too at times, can be quite frustrating.
Again I’ll use the Mahrez comparison, lost possession 13 times and missed 2/3 chances, lost possession leading to two goals. Sterling lost possession 14 times and scored twice. Different reactions tho

Again I’ll use the Mahrez comparison, lost possession 13 times and missed 2/3 chances, lost possession leading to two goals. Sterling lost possession 14 times and scored twice. Different reactions tho

Pep knows Sterling's strengths and weaknesses. None of our players are perfect. We know De Bruyne is a match winner and also know that sometimes he tries the improbable ball (never impossible with him!) and it doesn't come off.

We know Walker is excellent at covering space in behind and nullifying opposing wingers but we also know he isn't as creative as Cancelo.

Different options for different opponents. All part of a squad that has been very successful so far. Sterling will always get negative reviews because he will always lack that consistent touch, control and end product. But maybe in 5-10 years we will all realise and look back on just how impressive his scoring record is.

He might only score tap ins but no one else manages to score them at such a prolific rate.

He lost possession 14 times at the weekend. Mahrez lost possession 13 times in the first leg against RM. Once again, why is sterling held to different standard even tho so many people don’t think he’s got half the ability.
He isn’t. Mahrez wasn’t good in that Madrid game, Pep was going mental at him from the touch line all game.

He lost possession 14 times at the weekend. Mahrez lost possession 13 times in the first leg against RM. Once again, why is sterling held to different standard even tho so many people don’t think he’s got half the ability.
There could be several factors.

Ease at which possession was taken
Quality of opposition
Occurrences per season

Last edited:
I would be comfortable with you moving on.
Too much of a gentleman to
tell you where.
We’re all entitled to our opinions, and if Sterling played solely on the right wing then I’d be happy for him to stay, but for Foden, Silva, Jesus or Grealish to miss out so Pep can play him on the left or CF then it’s a no from me. You think differently, and that’s fine, but I wouldn’t insist you move on.
We’re all Blue and want the team to be the best in each position and win every game we play, but there’s bound to be differences of opinion, C’est la vie

We’re all entitled to our opinions, and if Sterling played solely on the right wing then I’d be happy for him to stay, but for Foden, Silva, Jesus or Grealish to miss out so Pep can play him on the left or CF then it’s a no from me. You think differently, and that’s fine, but I wouldn’t insist you move on.
We’re all Blue and want the team to be the best in each position and win every game we play, but there’s bound to be differences of opinion, C’est la vie

I believe there will be outgoings this Summer. They will be players who have been upmost professional in their time at City.. I just don't get the negativity of fans for players who have helped us become so successful.

When he plays like he did on Sunday he's quality. Even though he can be frustrating to watch at times he's still better than most in the PL. I wouldn't mind if he stayed but wish him well if he decides to leave. We have had our money's worth out of him.

Ultimately Pellers signed him and stuck him on the left, despite him causing us problems down the right when he played against us, and we don't know what Pep ask's him to do. I think we're all generally agreed he's served his time with us and helped us win trophies (apart from the CL Final last year) and his best position is right wing, but if Pep continually plays him out left or through the centre or worse still plays him and Mahrez together, then its better for him and our stress levels that he moves on. I don't dislike him I just think his skillset is somewhat lacking in comparison to others.
If he stays and plays right wing then so be it, but in any other position I just can't see it.

CTWD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.