8 | Ilkay Gundogan - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why a trio that includes Rodri and Bernie is a better option than one that includes KDB..
When Bernie plays in MF now, it is usually as a second DM to hold and carry, rather than the creative “inside winger midfielder” which created his reputation. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have pace either!

He is a creative force that is frequently nullified because his positive attributes and supreme versatility help spackle over the cracks of lesser talents in the team.

Personally, I’d like to see Philips play RM/LM WITH Rodri every now and then, which might give them both license to get forward a little more, but also provide the solidity needed in some games. That would then free up KDB or Bernie or Foden to be more creative in and around the box.

I envisage a 2-2-3-3 as our ideal attacking set up, with two players shielding the CBS while the FBs supplement KDB/Bernie/Foden in an attacking midfield role, allowing us to still have two wide men and a striker.

When clear it is on, adding Alvarez to the mix in lieu of one of the wingers, and pushing one of the FBs even further upfield helps add even more potential goal scoring opportunity into the mix.

Watching Arsenal yesterday, Partey and Xhaka patrolled the middle of the park like lions looking for their next meal, which released the other midfielder. They played a 2-2 with full backs getting forward and one of them almost scoring a cracker from the edge of the box!

Make no mistake, I think Rodri is an absolute Boss! But, he’s getting flogged to death to placate a system that exposes him to waves of counterattacks without teammates pulling their share. I have been heartened by Grealish & Mahrez putting in a shift in our “defensive” 4-4-2, but Rodri needs an able bodied assistant (an equal would be almost impossible to find!) to serve the team and tighten it up a bit!

We are on course for 90 points, and that’s after a difficult spell, but are probably 8 pts behind The Arse. Our two games against them are crucial in closing that gap. However, in looking at the stats, we are shipping goals (8 more than last year so far) to teams we shouldn’t be BECAUSE of the fast counter. We need to close that door and make clean sheets more important than the third or fourth goal! I think we are minus 11 on GD this year over last. That’s 3 less for us and 8 more we have shipped. That needs to change, and some more strength in the middle of the park would help that, I believe.

Last edited:
An excellent career at City, with some genuinely legendary moments. But City have a habit of keeping players too long, and I don't think we should renew gundo in the summer personally. 33 Next season and I don't think he's having a good year this year at all. Leave on top imo.

Problem is the 3-3-4, where KDB is pushed upfront ahead of the lost ball and the inverted FB drops into his natural FB position.

If the wingers don’t supplement midfield very quickly, we are VERY light in midfield and get overrun…esp if Gundo is one of the two midfielders in that scenario.

Gundo is excellent around the opposition third, and at ghosting into the box. He is NOT a snappy defensive midfielder who can break down opposition breaks, or even hold them up while we get reinforcements.

It might be time.
Used to be excellent at it.

An excellent career at City, with some genuinely legendary moments. But City have a habit of keeping players too long, and I don't think we should renew gundo in the summer personally. 33 Next season and I don't think he's having a good year this year at all. Leave on top imo.
I agree with most of this. I personally think he is having a good year, but he should leave at the end of the season on top.

No point in playing him imo.

If bernie is also leaving then use him.

KdB wants to stay so he can do it, Philips needs minutes, even if you dont rate him, hes ours and needs to play.

Fuck I even trust Lewis in a pure midfield position.
If you put Phillips in our midfield now our season will be over, the drop off is huge compared to the others.

Our finest signing under Pep, magnificent class act, a wonderful player but a player who is in decline.

Unless he gives up International football and is happy to become a bit part player then it's time to say thank you, goodbye and best wishes.

It would be so sad to see him struggle with us, he is far better than that.

Go out on top, with wonderful memories of titles and match winning performances.

Great servant for the club and now approaching the twilight of his career. End the season with a few trophies with us and then see your career out in La Liga. He’s always put a shift in whenever called upon but he won’t be a starter next season in the Premier league, whereas the slower paced leagues will suit his style and physicality, now he’s slowing down slightly.

We should offer him a job to coach the EDS or u18 next seasin, maybe even u16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.