80 | Cole Palmer - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said towards the end of last season that we should have let Mahrez go and fully promoted Palmer. He’s ready to explode, I just don’t see where he’s going to get the game time unless we have an injury crisis.

We know pep he loves experience players maybe another year or two with Mahres and palmer challenging him in that turn will benefit palmer and keep mahres on his toes!

Brilliant that second half.

Think his injury has put him a season behind in his first team minutes development. Though Pep seems to be giving him minutes centrally which with Gundo and Bernie being noncommittal toward their futures with us we could see his progression accelerated.

Palmer is no where near being in a full England squad - and we wouldn't want him there. He needs to spend the World Cup working on with Haaland at home and being ready to cover for any players that come back exhausted/injured.

So far, he has had some nice bits of experience, shown some nice touches and confidence. But in those times there is still no end product - that is fine, it will come. He is playing against beaten, tired teams, so has a chance to play with space and freedom - the next step in his development is to start a match and make significant contributions.

So far he has played in 19 first team matches, and totalled 550 minutes (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cole-palmer/leistungsdaten/spieler/568177/plus/0?saison=2022)

Phil Foden played in 32 matches (1110 minutes) before he started a Premier League match. At the time some claimed the progression was too slow, but we are reaping the rewards now.

So lets not push Palmer on too quickly - or expect too much too soon - Pep knows what he is doing!

Palmer is no where near being in a full England squad - and we wouldn't want him there. He needs to spend the World Cup working on with Haaland at home and being ready to cover for any players that come back exhausted/injured.

So far, he has had some nice bits of experience, shown some nice touches and confidence. But in those times there is still no end product - that is fine, it will come. He is playing against beaten, tired teams, so has a chance to play with space and freedom - the next step in his development is to start a match and make significant contributions.

So far he has played in 19 first team matches, and totalled 550 minutes (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cole-palmer/leistungsdaten/spieler/568177/plus/0?saison=2022)

Phil Foden played in 32 matches (1110 minutes) before he started a Premier League match. At the time some claimed the progression was too slow, but we are reaping the rewards now.

So lets not push Palmer on too quickly - or expect too much too soon - Pep knows what he is doing!

He's absolute class and he's going to have a great future at City. With 5 subs he'll get plenty of game time and I'm sure we'll see him start games next season. His impact against Copenhagen was very impressive. He did more than Mahrez. You can say Copenhagen were tired by that stage, but he has that brilliant ability to create space when there isn't any. The video that was posted - around 1.40 into it he throws a class dummy to then get past his man. Other times it's the Mahrez' style fake and drop of the shoulder. He's got the pace to drive forwards and he's pretty strong on the ball too.

I wouldn't say there's no end product, he's scored in the CL, FA Cup and League Cup already and he could have scored and had an assist in his time on the pitch on Wednesday. He's got a bright future ahead of him for sure and hopefully we get to see more and more of him as the season progresses. The part of his game Pep will be interested in is his defensive side. How is he positionally? How does he perform when we're under pressure rather than dominant?

Said towards the end of last season that we should have let Mahrez go and fully promoted Palmer. He’s ready to explode, I just don’t see where he’s going to get the game time unless we have an injury crisis.
He's only 20 years old. If he keeps producing cameos like the other night then he'll be a regular in no time.

He's only 20 years old. If he keeps producing cameos like the other night then he'll be a regular in no time.
True, I just think he’s ready to explode, gone under the radar a bit due to his injury last season. I can see Pep moulding him to play in Kevs role, in that right inside channel. Foden has always been earmarked to eventually dropping back into midfield, but I think Cole may be better suited to play as an 8.

He's absolute class and he's going to have a great future at City. With 5 subs he'll get plenty of game time and I'm sure we'll see him start games next season. His impact against Copenhagen was very impressive. He did more than Mahrez. You can say Copenhagen were tired by that stage, but he has that brilliant ability to create space when there isn't any. The video that was posted - around 1.40 into it he throws a class dummy to then get past his man. Other times it's the Mahrez' style fake and drop of the shoulder. He's got the pace to drive forwards and he's pretty strong on the ball too.

I wouldn't say there's no end product, he's scored in the CL, FA Cup and League Cup already and he could have scored and had an assist in his time on the pitch on Wednesday. He's got a bright future ahead of him for sure and hopefully we get to see more and more of him as the season progresses. The part of his game Pep will be interested in is his defensive side. How is he positionally? How does he perform when we're under pressure rather than dominant?
Yes - of course he has a bright future. I just don't want us putting pressure on him to produce that now. It will come with time and with Pep's careful guidance. You are right he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. But he also needs to start turning those nice turns and dummies into chance creating passes/shots.

Hence 6 weeks in November working with Haaland, Mahrez and whoever else isn't going to the World Cup might just mean that in December/January he is in the right place to step up. But if he isn't - that is also OK - it will come in time.

Yes - of course he has a bright future. I just don't want us putting pressure on him to produce that now. It will come with time and with Pep's careful guidance. You are right he needs to work on the defensive side of his game. But he also needs to start turning those nice turns and dummies into chance creating passes/shots.

Hence 6 weeks in November working with Haaland, Mahrez and whoever else isn't going to the World Cup might just mean that in December/January he is in the right place to step up. But if he isn't - that is also OK - it will come in time.

Too sensible. He needs to be the wildcard and on that plane to Qatar and bring back the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.