82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things that won us the league last year was Pep deciding he'd had enough of Cancelo and playing Rico instead.

To me that was because Cancelo thought he could play killer balls all the time (losing us possession fairly often), while Rico played more sensibly, giving the ball to the actual creative talents to do that instead.

I think now he is perhaps trying to do more than just the basics on occasion, but he maybe doesn't need to.
Just to clarify, he played 2 games since the Spurs loss (Feb 5) in the run that won us the title on the 20th of May. None in the CL. I think his emergence coincided with Cancelo's behaviour, so he was fast-tracked into the 1st team. Manu played at RB in most games, sometimes Stonesy, and that's when we won every game. I think Pep rushed Rico a little, and the hype didn't help him. For me, the Oscar Bobb treatment would have been more beneficial, as he has been developing under the radar, and the media didn't pay too much attention to him. Consequently, Oscar is really living up to his potential and performing very well for us this season. In comparison, Rico seems worse this season than last season, IMO. Hopefully, he can get his development back on track.

Just to clarify, he played 2 games since the Spurs loss (Feb 5) in the run that won us the title on the 20th of May. None in the CL. I think his emergence coincided with Cancelo's behaviour, so he was fast-tracked into the 1st team. Manu played at RB in most games, sometimes Stonesy, and that's when we won every game. I think Pep rushed Rico a little, and the hype didn't help him. For me, the Oscar Bobb treatment would have been more beneficial, as he has been developing under the radar, and the media didn't pay too much attention to him. Consequently, Oscar is really living up to his potential and performing very well for us this season. In comparison, Rico seems worse this season than last season, IMO. Hopefully, he can get his development back on track.
Best thing going for Bobb is that he isn't English. He will escape half the media nonsense.

Fair enough. I think though that Cancelo was phased out before then and Lewis made quite a few starts during that time before Cancelo was finally moved on to Bayern?

Might be wrong, going off memory here.

Fair enough. I think though that Cancelo was phased out before then and Lewis made quite a few starts during that time before Cancelo was finally moved on to Bayern?

Might be wrong, going off memory here.
I think you are right. Pep definitely used Rico as an example that "big names" don't matter, and it's all about the right attitude and dedication. In that sense, Rico definitely made a huge impact before Cancelo's departure in January.

For me, the Oscar Bobb treatment would have been more beneficial, as he has been developing under the radar, and the media didn't pay too much attention to him. Consequently, Oscar is really living up to his potential and performing very well for us this season. In comparison, Rico seems worse this season than last season, IMO. Hopefully, he can get his development back on track.
Or conversely, Rico is already facing his first setbacks as a young player playing proper football in his second season, whereas Oscar is right now in the state where Rico was last season and is yet to face his first setback. Pep is cautious with young players especially midfielders with so much responsibility in his system, I just can't believe that he'll play Rico as much as he does unless he actually believes in him.

Akanji's injury will probably mean we see a lot more of him, either playing next to Rodri or at RB.

Akanji's injury will probably mean we see a lot more of him, either playing next to Rodri or at RB.
Not so sure about that. His form in the last 3 or 4 games he's played has dropped off. I could see Pep getting really frustrated with him at the weekend at not being able to do the simple stuff.
Saying that all players have a dip in form & i'm sure he'll come good again.

I see a great player in the making but at the moment I am nervous whenever he starts. He is so young and learning a new position so this is not a pop, just I would prefer he is only used as a sub once we are comfortable. He needs to bulk up a little and learn the complexity Pep installs before I think he should be a starter. We are blessed that we can be more cautious with him as at a team lower in the table he might be a regular starter and could lose confidence if he has bad performances. Having said all that I can see him being a starter by the time he is 21

Should be loaned to get more play time, he needs to play often at his age to keep growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.