82 | Rico Lewis - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll get minutes if we're 3-0 or 4-0 with 15 to go. He's young and isnt quite ready. Better keeping him around

Very irratic passing from Rico tonight which is surprising from someone so assured on the ball.

Noticed second half he doesn't check his shoulder much, they were wide open down their left a few times, you'd expect that to be exploited against better side. He's not a defender, but if he can come in in games like tonight do a job and allow us to rest others that's very very useful for such a tiny squad.

Doesn't play with confidence right now. Having started in games in which we didn't win (Arsenal, Villa, Palace.. ) didn’t help him. I know we didn't have enough options vs Arsenal and Villa away, but Rico shouldn't start in such games. Pep sees special things in him, but his inclusion in important games was a bit premature at this stage of his development and might have done more harm than good. He's afraid of making mistakes now, same as many other players under Pep before they get more confident

Last edited:
I've still got no idea what position Rico will end up in and whether he'll make it at City. He's only 19 and his performances are often exactly what you'd expect from someone of that age in the best team in the world. He's slotting into a position/role we're used to seeing Walker or Stones play and they're two of the very best in world football. So there will always be elements of his game that aren't quite there. It's generally positional awareness which comes from playing this hybrid role, and arguably needs better communication and leadership from those around him. He was unusually sloppy with the ball at times against Burnley, but he's got a lot of fight and passion for the club and hopefully will improve in time.

Doesn't play with confidence right now. Having started in games in which we didn't win (Arsenal, Villa, Palace.. ) didn’t help him. I know we didn't have enough options vs Arsenal and Villa away, but Rico shouldn't start in such games. Pep sees special things in him, but his inclusion in important games was a bit premature at this stage of his development and might have done more harm than good. He's afraid of making mistakes now, same as many other players under Pep before they get more confident
Maybe it is confidence, but it's more likely just rust, in my opinion. It's hard even to imagine how tough it is to not play for a month and then step into the best team in the world in the best league.

I think with Rico is just important to remember development is not linear. He is progressing with minutes, done very well in the champions league group stages at midfield this season. Having a future long term in midfield but limited by his physical development at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.