82 | Rico Lewis - 2024/25

Rico's recovery run was shit, simple as...
Whether it was shite or not, Lewis wasn’t the cause of the goal being conceeded.

I encourage everyone to watch the goal back again, especially from the tactical cam angle.

Stones was covering no one.

Played a large part in it IMHO.
I have watched it back about ten times, because I thought I must have missed something based on what people in this thread are saying about Lewis, and for me it is 40% on Gvardiol for not closing Semedo down (he ran away rather than to him), 50% on Stones for going walkabout (inexplicably covering no one or even occupying a position where he can impact play), and 10% on Lewis for perhaps not running back as fast as he could.

But, if you watch it back, I think you’ll see that Lewis probably can’t do anything about it even if he does sprint back a bit faster because the crosser was given so much space to put in a great cross and Stones didn’t take a line that would allow him to have a chance at cutting the ball out before it reached a far post runner.

It’s just bizarre to see so many throwing him, of all players, under the bus.

I have watched it back about ten times, because I thought I must have missed something based on what people in this thread are saying about Lewis, and for me it is 40% on Gvardiol for not closing Semedo down (he ran away rather than to him), 50% on Stones for going walkabout (inexplicably covering no one or even occupying a position where he can impact play), and 10% on Lewis for perhaps not running back as fast as he could.

But, if you watch it back, I think you’ll see that Lewis probably can’t do anything about it even if he does sprint back a bit faster because the crosser was given so much space to put in a great cross and Stones didn’t take a line that would allow him to have a chance at cutting the ball out before it reached a far post runner.

It’s just bizarre to see so many throwing him, of all players, under the bus.
To be honest I don’t think Lewis has the pace to get back anyway. He is very slow to get back when we lose the ball up the field. Agree that Gvardiol gave too much space but he did make up for it in the rest of the game.

Rico is good at some things though. I just think we need to play a different way to get him in the right places. I think he is a a midfield player more than a right back. Maybe it’s time to change our system a bit as I am not keen on this Gundo/Kovacic midfield duo.

He's always gonna be left out to dry when we cough it up, can you be on the ball in a #10 but cover DM, CM and RB while your at it. Looks outstanding when we are on it, silly passes and turnovers though, looks stupid.

Footballers aren't robots, every player makes multiple mistakes every game, some small, some big.

Truth is it was a great ball in, I doubt many would be dissecting it if De Bruyne played that ball because it was that good a delivery.
Every time I’ve seen it back, I’ve thought it was a KDB ball. Not dissimilar to the Sane goal against Stoke. Not as good, but aesthetically similar.

To be honest I don’t think Lewis has the pace to get back anyway. He is very slow to get back when we lose the ball up the field. Agree that Gvardiol have too much space but he did make up for it in the rest of the game.
I think Stones had a shaky first 45 but a better second before scoring the winner, Gvardiol was on balance ok before his absolutely vital stunner, and Lewis, without doing anything flashy, was on the whole the better of the three over the entire match. That’s not to say he was substantially better, but that he was just more consistent and he did everything asked of him well.

I struggle to believe Pep would be unhappy with his performance, much less agree with the various assertions in this thread that Rico “isn’t good enough for us.”

It’s like people have forgotten he’s a 19 year-old not only regularly starting for arguably the best club in the world, but in one of the most demanding roles in modern football, under one of the most demanding managers to ever grace the touchline.

I am really not sure a player people apparently want to replace him even exists. They might in the future… but that will just be Lewis, two or three years older.

If he played for Bayer, Atlético, Inter, or a lower table team, and was interested in joining us, everyone would be demanding we pay the €100 million going rate to get him before Real, Bayern, or Liverpool snap him up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.