9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had Lewandowski, so he does work with strikers and it worked.

There's a reason why Pep left Bayern after three seasons. He didn't really 'win over' the players or staff, and was effectively 'gone' by the end of the second, when City called.
That Bayern team more or less ran itself - it still does to some extent in a very average league. Pep definitely didn't have the same level of influence on performance or success in Munich that he has at Barcelona and City.

There's a reason why Pep left Bayern after three seasons. He didn't really 'win over' the players or staff, and was effectively 'gone' by the end of the second, when City called.
That Bayern team more or less ran itself - it still does to some extent in a very average league. Pep definitely didn't have the same level of influence on performance or success in Munich that he has at Barcelona and City.

I think you need to remember that he had half of the Gestapo and SS working at Bayern messing with the club and team, and Pep wasn't playing ball with them.

Doesn't alter the fact that Pep played Lewendowski , conventional centre forward , in the Bayern team very well, which was the OP's point.

That’s like saying Messi isn’t on Ronaldo’s level if he ends up with a few less career goals

Messi is about to surpass a washed-up Cristiano in total career goals soon. And Messi is the better goalscorer from a statistical POV. It's the same guy who scored 91 goals in a full calender year...

@Maldeika has said differently to that. She’s a Bayern from from München and I’ve seen her say that Bayern never had more dominance and quality of passing, goals scored and points won than when Pep was there.

Be interesting to hear her take on Pep and how he used and worked with Lewandowski and how Bayern played around him. Pep was the one who signed Lewandowski after his first season coaching Bayern. In his first season with him, he scored 25 then the second season he scored 42.

Bearing in mind Pep had Robben Ribery Coman and Douglas Costa as well as Müller around Lewandowski. In a game against Juventus in the Champions League Pep brought on Coman and had both Costa and Coman as two left wingers in that game all geared towards Leeandowski being the man to get the ball to late in the game and in extra time. Never seen tactics like that before or since.

We haven’t really seen that yet from our players or Pep’s tactics with Haaland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need to remember that he had half of the Gestapo and SS working at Bayern messing with the club and team, and Pep wasn't playing ball with them.

Doesn't alter the fact that Pep played Lewendowski , conventional centre forward , in the Bayern team very well, which was the OP's point.

My own eyes tell me that he isn't using Haaland to best effect.

Haaland's body language tells me that he doesn't think that Pep is using him to best effect.

I think Pep is so committed to his system that he has become 'risk averse' to the extent that possession is now more important than goals. As a result, much of our play has become tedious and boring.

Increasing pace, using quick wingers, and really supplying Haaland would improve results and entertainment value.

@Maldeika has said differently to that. She’s a Bayern from from München and I’ve seen her say that Bayern never had more dominance and quality of passing, goals scored and points won than when Pep was there.

Fair enough, but it's not the impression that I had of that period albeit 'from a great distance'.

As I recall, Lewandowski's highest goal tallies came after Pep left Bayern, the forwards played with greater freedom, and the dominance continued.

In any case; if Pep could do it then, why is he finding it so difficult to get his head round it now?

As I've said before, I think Pep has become risk averse and is now over cautious. He's obsessed with possession. Of course, there's nowt wrong with that if possession leads to goals and points.

This is not true at all?

Bayern wanted Pep to stay, he left because he was bored of having to explain all his decisions to the explayers on the board who think they’re running things.

Uli Hoeness absolutely loved Pep and would have kept him forever.

None of the players have ever said anything less than glowing. Only a few weeks ago Lewandowski did a sit down with the BBC where he said he learned more in 2 seasons with pep than in the rest of his career combined, and Pep teaching him about the team around him is the reason he’s doing so well into his 30s and scoring more than ever.

Lewandowski also said the reason he went to Barcelona is because he enjoyed playing for Pep and the Catalans at Bayern so much “he brought Barcelona to Bayern” and he knew Xavi would play the same way.

Messi is about to surpass a washed-up Cristiano in total career goals soon. And Messi is the better goalscorer from a statistical POV. It's the same guy who scored 91 goals in a full calender year...
Wasn’t really my point and he’s still 30 odd goals behind

This is not true at all?

Bayern wanted Pep to stay, he left because he was bored of having to explain all his decisions to the explayers on the board who think they’re running things.

Uli Hoeness absolutely loved Pep and would have kept him forever.

None of the players have ever said anything less than glowing. Only a few weeks ago Lewandowski did a sit down with the BBC where he said he learned more in 2 seasons with pep than in the rest of his career combined, and Pep teaching him about the team around him is the reason he’s doing so well into his 30s and scoring more than ever.

Lewandowski also said the reason he went to Barcelona is because he enjoyed playing for Pep and the Catalans at Bayern so much “he brought Barcelona to Bayern” and he knew Xavi would play the same way.
Fair enough. Must just be me believing what came out of the Bayern hierarchy who appointed Pep to bring them the CL again, and Franck Ribery who basically thought Pep was all talk.

It doesn't change the fact that Pep doesn't seem to be making best use of Erling Haaland, and whose last two City teams have produced a grand total of one shot on target in 180 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.