9 | Erling Haaland - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are miles off finding a system that gets the best out of him,which is mind blowing considering his goal tally.

I trust Pep to get it right.

It’s worth watching again the run up to the incident in the first half when he nearly scored with the header; it was the one where Lloris dashed out but Haaland could only head over. When the ball initially went out to Mahrez, Haaland anticipated a first-time cross from the right and was free to attack the ball if it came. However, Mahrez didn’t trust his foot, opted to go back, and the angle changed and became much harder to score from. If we ever get to the stage where we have wingers or full backs who can overlap and deliver earlier, then it’s Goodnight Vienna for the rest.

Interesting comments from Pep in his press conference last night - saying he told Haaland at half time that he needs to run forward and stop dropping deep. Says he made 1 run like that in the first half (a bit harsh, he’s constantly making them but only one was played to him) which is interesting. Even specifically said to stop dropping deep because that’s not why we bought him.

Hopefully a change in attitude to make sure he gets the ball into him fast. Over the top is fine, there’s space. If there’s space against that Spurs 5-man block then there’s space against everybody at some point.

I love how he always pops up with important goals, though. Another last night and a proper striker’s, poached goal.

Yeah made me laugh when they talked about his dry spell. 2 league games before today without a goal. 4 games in total, 2 of which he was on the bench.

Before that he had 4 goals in the first 4 games after the World Cup.

By his standards it may have been a “dry spell” but he’s already equal with last seasons golden boot winners.

January football in this country is shit, so many cup games make it impossible to get any rhythm. It feels like ages since he scored but it's only been two league games, Chelsea away and United away.

The most a City player has scored under Pep in the PL is 21 (Aguero). Haaland has 22 goals in just half a season.

It’s only been a talking point about how well we are using him because we played Chelsea and United away from home in consecutive games which meant he didn’t score.

Ever since Pep has been here, our striker has a terrible scoring record away to the big 6.

Off the top of my head, away from home to the big 6, Aguero only scored 1 goal in his 5 years under Pep? Away at Chelsea in 16/17? Granted, Pep often opted for Jesus or no striker in those games but the pattern remains the same.

If it wasn’t for how high profile Haaland is, and the overall reaction to him doing it, I’m sure Pep would have liked to have dropped him and gone Alvarez/false 9 in the away games at Liverpool, United and Chelsea to allow us more control in the game.

I’d put good money on Haaland not scoring away at Spurs and Arsenal either until we find a better way of using the striker in the big away games.

At home, much like with Aguero, it’s a completely different story.

It’s worth watching again the run up to the incident in the first half when he nearly scored with the header; it was the one where Lloris dashed out but Haaland could only head over. When the ball initially went out to Mahrez, Haaland anticipated a first-time cross from the right and was free to attack the ball if it came. However, Mahrez didn’t trust his foot, opted to go back, and the angle changed and became much harder to score from. If we ever get to the stage where we have wingers or full backs who can overlap and deliver earlier, then it’s Goodnight Vienna for the rest.
Yeah it happens in every game.

Another example yesterday, in the first half, was when Gundogan played a superb ball through to Grealish, Erling was running through the middle and all i was thinking was play the ball first time into his path Jack, but instead he took a heavy touch before being tackled.

It will come, Pep will make sure of it, but i don't think we'll really see us at our best with him until next season, then the opposition will really need to watch out.

Oh and i'm really getting pissed off with the commentators keeping a running tally of how many touches he has. They do it every game like they need to find something to bash him with, yet i don't see them saying it about any other player, for example, why didn't they mention the same thing about Son last night!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.