#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like when he receives a pass near the halfway line, takes a touch back to draw the defender in and then skips past them in one movement. He's been doing that since Palmeiras. The defender knows what's coming and can't stop it and his teammates clearly know what he's about to do because they continue to overlap even when it looks like he's about to take the ball back towards our half.

I like when he receives a pass near the halfway line, takes a touch back to draw the defender in and then skips past them in one movement. He's been doing that since Palmeiras. The defender knows what's coming and can't stop it and his teammates clearly know what he's about to do because they continue to overlap even when it looks like he's about to take the ball back towards our half.
He's got certain skills that Aguero doesn't have and this one is a big one for him, i think Pep really recognises it. But the biggest difference between him and Aguero is killer instinct, it's not that he doesn't have the greediness in him that all good strikers have, it's the ruthlessness and instinct to score that he's missing. It has to be an obsession, i just don't think he has that but Pep recognises the other things he brings to the party.

100% pass. Can't believe people actually think it's a shot after watching replays, lol. The skip step before connecting with the ball (leaving him flat flooted, therefore unable to shoot) and the immediate look behind once he's moved it on are dead giveaways.

Noticed in the warm up to one of our games that he seems to gave packed on some leg muscle during lockdown, strength conditioning hopefully know to start bullying defenders

I have high hope's for Jesus, but I get the point from others because he can be frustrating.

I think the biggest issue in my judgement is that I was a child in the era of Brazilian forward players such as Romario, Bebeto, Rivaldo and the best of the bunch Ronaldinho and the Ronaldo - and comparing him to those legends of the game is probably not fair especially as he is playing his trade in the premiership

When you watch Jesus when he was still in Brazil, he seemed to be playing with more creative freedom - and that is most probably down to the style of football played in his national league.

Since arriving at our club, I have only witnessed certain occasions when that brazilian flair and raw skill has raised itself - but when it has my god it makes the heart beat faster and gets you on the edge of your seat

The issue is, that we are not witnessing it enough. Is this down to Pep making him understand the game more better and be tactically more astute ? That could be a reason.....but if so then it is putting a ball and chain on his natural ability, and this is an ability we know he has.

Messi when even a young player at Barca and coached by Pep still decided to commit players and take them on - he was and is the worlds best, but that method runs the risk of losing the ball and possession - and we know Pep is all about possession and ball retention

It could be that this philosophy is holding Jesus back

I am not saying pep is telling jesus not to take anyone one but the thought process with Jesus on the pitch may be that he is thinking "okay I could take these 2 on, but I might lose possession and cause a counter attack, keep if safe and make a run instead"

I would love to just see him go out and play with freedom to take on his marker and just run at the goal - ut unfortunately we don't play that way or adopt that approach - it is upto the player to adopt that approach and make that creative decision in the final third of the pitch - mahrez as an example did it the other night against Burnley.

We gave seen that the only players who have done that so far - Kun, KDB, Mahrez and Sane are feared by the opposition because of their ability to drive forward take on players and score - I honestly think that the opposition respect Jesus but they do not fear playing him like they do the other 3.

Remember the hype and excitement when Jesus came on against Spurs in his first game and changed the attack immediately and nearly scored

This is a massive stage in his career now because Kun is nearing the end. We are going to need a striker that can not only drive into the box from out wide but a striker who can receive the ball, tufn and drive forward dragging 2 or 3 defenders with him but then still getting his shot away

I hope he can achieve it, noticing how much muscle weight he packed on his legs is a good start and he needs to build his confidence knowing he has the ability to bypass a player or even 2 but can also out muscle them as well

It might not be thus season as it is pretty much near its end, but next season I want to see him up it another level and start believing he is one of the best in the world

Always comes across as he is trying too hard, like he is on trial or something. Think he needs to relax abit Sterling use to be the same in his first season with us where they over think everything instead of playing instinctively.

Always comes across as he is trying too hard, like he is on trial or something. Think he needs to relax abit Sterling use to be the same in his first season with us where they over think everything instead of playing instinctively.
He and Sterling are players who desperately need confidence to start firing. Sterling scoring today lit his game on fire.

Ideally you would just be confident but alas here we are. The quality is obviously there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.