96 years ago this sunday.1st july 1916.

Everybody at sometime in their life must visit the Menin gate at Ypres , and the Thiepval memorial ....... I've been three times now and sense of loss gets me every time ....

It's Armed Forces Day tomorrow. I believe there's an event in Piccadillly Gardens for anybody that's interested.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/events/details.aspx?id=8872636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/events ... id=8872636</a>

mcfc391 said:
It's Armed Forces Day tomorrow. I believe there's an event in Piccadillly Gardens for anybody that's interested.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/events/details.aspx?id=8872636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/events ... id=8872636</a>

I've no agenda, or axe to grind, but Armed Forces Day is not for me. I honour the dead on Remembrance Sunday.

To all those men women and children who have lost their lives in the service of our country we salute you, we honour you and we will never forget you. In the First World War I reckon no family in Britain didn't have a relative who was lost even the Queen lost family. In our armed forces there are many fans of our great club and all the other clubs in our league and elsewhere and I take my hat off and thank you for putting your lives on the line so that can live in peace. God bless the fallen and the living you deserve a day of recognition.

Mods if this is out of line in this part of the forum you can delete or remove it.

Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

From top of my head Tom Farrell - he'd only appeared in a few games for us (check out the stats on the new history page).

I'll have a quick look at my notes.

-- Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am --

Just checked....

A player called Pat McQuire died in October 1916 from injuries on the front line - don't know if he died on the day he was injured or months earlier.

Jack Yuill died in action on 9th July 1916. Not certain of the circumstances.

Of course other players (most notably Turnbull and Conlin) died on other dates in WW1.

Lance Sergeant Jack Yuill served with the 19th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment
(The 4th Manchester Pals). On July 1 the 19th attacked and captured the fortified German stronghold known as Glatz Redoubt. They then assisted the 16th and 17th Manchesters in the capture of the village of Montauban. This was one of only two successes on July 1 which was the worst day in British military history with nearly 20,00 killed ....most of them in the first hour!!!!. The other success was the capture of the village of Mametz. The Manchester Pals played a major role in the capture of both villages
On the 9th of July the 19th Manchesters were involved in an attack on Trones Wood (a notorious killing field.) Jack Yuill was killed in this attack. His body was never recovered and he still lies somewhere in Trones Wood. He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing on The Somme .....along with 70,000 others.
Incidentally the official name for the Manchester Pals was the City Battallions

Joe Hayes said:
Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

From top of my head Tom Farrell - he'd only appeared in a few games for us (check out the stats on the new history page).

Just checked....

A player called Pat McQuire died in October 1916 from injuries on the front line - don't know if he died on the day he was injured or months earlier.

Of course other players (most notably Turnbull and Conlin) died on other dates in WW1.

Lance Sergeant Jack Yuill served with the 19th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment
(The 4th Manchester Pals). On July 1 the 19th attacked and captured the fortified German stronghold known as Glatz Redoubt. They then assisted the 16th and 17th Manchesters in the capture of the village of Montauban. This was one of only two successes on July 1 which was the worst day in British military history with nearly 20,00 killed ....most of them in the first hour!!!!. The other success was the capture of the village of Mametz. The Manchester Pals played a major role in the capture of both villages
On the 9th of July the 19th Manchesters were involved in an attack on Trones Wood (a notorious killing field.) Jack Yuill was killed in this attack. His body was never recovered and he still lies somewhere in Trones Wood. He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing on The Somme .....along with 70,000 others.

Just read his service record - Promoted from Corporal to Lance Sergeant on 1st July 1916, makes you wonder how he was KIA and how much this had to do with it

Joe Hayes said:
Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

Just checked....

Corporal Tom Farrell served with the 1st Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers ( a regular army battalion). On July 1 Tom was involved in the attack on the fortified village of Beaumont Hamel but was killed in action. He is buried in Auchonvillers Moilitary Cemetary nearby.<br /><br />-- Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:01 pm --<br /><br />
BlueKingEll said:
Joe Hayes said:
Gary James said:
Yep. We did.

Just checked....

Just read his service record - Promoted from Corporal to Lance Sergeant on 1st July 1916, makes you wonder how he was KIA and how much this had to do with it

This would almost certainly have been because his Sergeant was killed in action. A Lance Sergeant was a corporal acting in the rank of Sergeant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.