"A Good Cause Ruined"

Ric

Administrator
David Mooney's view on the #RBGF campaign on the site now:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?id=410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?id=410</a>

Good post that mate
And you've got a good point on paddy power in it for themselves

As for the other thread you mentioned,some of the replies were embarrassing
Shame some had to make jokes abt the subject.

To be fair to Paddy Power the cause got far more publicity due to the 'reach' of his organisation. Without them I doubt very much if the campaign would have got off the ground at all. It was covered widely on all of the main radio stations and also the BBC TV.
Whilst Paddy Power is the ultimate self publicist he did what many others would not have done or didn't do and he pushed the campaign forward. It's easy for other to sit back and criticise - however he didn't just talk, he acted and all credit to him for that.

I did hear a comment from one player who said that asking a player to change his laces is not easy as they don't like messing with their 'kit' - which as anyone who has played at any level might well agree with and particularly if you are a professional player. These guys play for a living so I can understand that thought process.

Overall I would say the campaign achieved its objectives.

A good cause is something like helping disadvantaged kids or cancer sufferers and not about helping people trying to shove their sexuality down peoples throats. Most people don't really care so just get on with it.

That blog post, although im sure written in the best of faith come's across quite bad IMO. Suggesting, no saying, people who do not see this as a huge pressing issue are "Homophobic" isnt really all that helpfull. Whats the opinion, if you dont agree and do as i ask then you are homophobic ? in my case and im sure others, im certainly not that inclined to shout abuse at someone who leads a different lifestyle.

It all seems very one way, more so when you mention that paddy power, although trying to help and making this campaign national.. didnt quite do it in a way you would have done.. it all seems very one sided and like those god dam hetros just dont get it type rant.

I fully support anyone being abused in anyway what so ever, in fact ive made a living out of just that for the past 12 years.. so please dont stoop to brand me and other as homophobic because we dont agree with the methods you use. It comes across almost childish in away. i suggest you continue the work you are doing and raising levels of awareness, but in away that take's ownership.

I read the blog and agree that Paddy Power would have been in it for there own gain.

By the end if the blog I'm not sure if you were for or against the laces.

Sometimes things are best kept secretive though for the sanity of others?

I don't consider myself homophobic, in fact two of my closest friends are openly gay but I'm not sure that coming out and Football is a great idea.

Football fans are vicious and will pray on any weakness to improve the teams chances of winning

It is strange that theres been absolutely nothing said about the reaction of teams and players to the laces anywhere. Maybe sky/the media have decided not to report on it as its too controversial?

MadchesterCity said:

I have now read this statement ten times, and it still doesn't make the slightest sense.
Are you suggesting that a gay player coming out would lead to an outbreak of mental illness in others?
Or that gay players should stay in the closet in case they come out and go mad as a result?
It is an excellent blog, and just a shame that the outrageous demands of the gay community for equality and acceptance are a step too far for some.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
MadchesterCity said:

I have now read this statement ten times, and it still doesn't make the slightest sense.
Are you suggesting that a gay player coming out would lead to an outbreak of mental illness in others?
Or that gay players should stay in the closet in case they come out and go mad as a result?
It is an excellent blog, and just a shame that the outrageous demands of the gay community for equality and acceptance are a step too far for some.

To play devil's advocate for a moment, I think most of the people disagreeing are suggesting that the gay community aren't just looking for equality and acceptance, they're looking for everyone to stand up and make a point of acknowledging that they're equal and accepted.

A gay footballer would get abuse from the opposition fans because it's unusual, in the sense that most footballers aren't gay, not because they don't believe they should be allowed to be gay. If, for example, 20% of footballers were gay and all came out at once, there'd be a few chants in the first couple of weeks but that'd be it because it wouldn't be as unusual any more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.