A letter on justice and open debate.

As a freelancer myself, I’m not sure it’s technically a “sacking” if an employer decides to no longer use your services. Sadly you just don’t get the same rights as a permanent employee. Secondly, it’s generally pretty unwise to publicly air dubious political views on social media if you’re in a relatively prominent position. It will invariably bite you on the arse.

It's not technically a sacking but it's the reason they chose to no longer employ him, according to the quotation. It should be an illegal practice in my view as should a whole other host of employment practices surrounding freelancing and agency work and zero hour workers but it suits both main parties to keep workers' rights weak.

There's nothing dubious about his political views. Ethnic minorities comprise 13% of the UK population. They make up 22% of ITV's staff (before they announced another 'diversity' scheme on the back of BLM) and are hugely overrepresented among other broadcasters. The idea that the TV industry is institutionally racist against ethnic minorities is laughable. But even if they made up 1% of ITV's staff, that's not a reason to cancel his livelihood.

You're probably right that it's wise to not post your politics on social media but that's like saying it's wise not to go out in a short skirt in case you get raped. The criticism should be levelled at the offender and in this case, that's ITV.

As a freelancer myself, I’m not sure it’s technically a “sacking” if an employer decides to no longer use your services. Sadly you just don’t get the same rights as a permanent employee. Secondly, it’s generally pretty unwise to publicly air dubious political views on social media if you’re in a relatively prominent position. It will invariably bite you on the arse.

Flexibility has a price.

I mean maybe it's his choice to be freelance, but I find it shitty that a programme like Coronation Street can't give full time positions to people. I get that for one-off stuff like films directors would have to work contract to contract, but this programme hasn't had a week off for 60 years.

It's a weird one, because anyone publicly coming out against a policy of their company typically knows they're risking their job, even if they would express those views to their colleagues or even managers. But then he's kind of discussing the issue in general, and so he's effectively being fired for having a different opinion to his employer on an industry issue. However, they might reasonably argue that for someone in such a position of responsibility, it could affect his ability to do his job.

As for his actual opinions, it's the classic "I've never seen it" dismissal of racism. Of course you haven't seen it. You're not the typical victim. He's probably the type of bloke who is confused when he hears that women get sexually harassed all the time, because it doesn't happen when he's with them.

Another example of someone being sacked for their political views - this time from Corrie.

Freedom of speech has taken an absolute battering in UK society over the past 12 month and it's long overdue for a change in legislation e.g. a free speech act, to guarantee people their livelihoods irrespective of what political opinion they hold (bar some very extreme exceptions).

This cancel culture era we're living in will hopefully be looked upon with utter disdain by future generations.

What is it you cant say that you want to say?

Another example of someone being sacked for their political views - this time from Corrie.

Freedom of speech has taken an absolute battering in UK society over the past 12 month and it's long overdue for a change in legislation e.g. a free speech act, to guarantee people their livelihoods irrespective of what political opinion they hold (bar some very extreme exceptions).

This cancel culture era we're living in will hopefully be looked upon with utter disdain by future generations.

Looks like he was a repeat offender. Fair enough to let him go imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.