A level results

Thing is it's now very difficult to fail A levels - with a 97.2% pass rate. Gold standard? I really doubt it. 50 years ago the pass rate was about 65% in most subjects and over half the pass students achieved the lower 2 grades (D and E). And don't get me started on those mickey mouse degree courses (communication, media studies etc). Next up we'll have a degree course in balloon animal construction. Rant over.
I think most universities don't really consider D and E as pass grades even though they are. You'd struggle to get a place at uni, other than a foundation year, with anything less than C grades. I think there are also many more options in 6th form/college nowadays with BTEC, T levels and other vocational qualifications and perhaps some of the academically weaker students are choosing those rather than more academic A levels.

I don't see anything wrong with offering a wide variety of courses at undergraduate degree level. Students should have the option of choosing a subject of interest and not just be confined to the more traditional subjects.

Thing is it's now very difficult to fail A levels - with a 97.2% pass rate. Gold standard? I really doubt it. 50 years ago the pass rate was about 65% in most subjects and over half the pass students achieved the lower 2 grades (D and E). And don't get me started on those mickey mouse degree courses (communication, media studies etc). Next up we'll have a degree course in balloon animal construction. Rant over.
When I left school in the 80s getting into a University was for the very smart and clever ones, not sure that's the case anymore.

I wondered what had happened to Finchy out of the Office.

Good luck to the students getting their GCSE results today.
I’m looking forward to hearing about them good, bad (although to me none are bad) or indifferent.
None are bad because they’ve studied for them and learned about their subjects so it’s worked. Education is not just sitting exams, not just sitting in a classroom working together with other students and teacher. Education is life, part of the world.

Good luck to everyone. :-) :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.