a match boycott is a must

johnmc said:
Totally agree prices are ridiculous. But a boycott will achieve nothing.

Boycotts would work if everyone stuck together, but the problem is the fact that this would never happen, unfortunately football fans don't seem to have the collective strength to stand up and protest against wrongs, they just accept it, if the premier league supporters boycotted away games for a month, believe me the clubs, media and television would take notice. Imagine all supporters getting together and boycotting all matches for one weekend to show their voice does count, but this is just fantasy because we carry on paying the prices until we can't afford it then walk away and complain on forums. We need to understand the power supporters hold, football would still be nothing without the fans and sky doesn't want to cover matches with empty stadiums

nwhn3 said:
johnmc said:

Boycotts would work if everyone stuck together, but the problem is the fact that this would never happen, unfortunately football fans don't seem to have the collective strength to stand up and protest against wrongs, they just accept it, if the premier league supporters boycotted away games for a month, believe me the clubs, media and television would take notice. Imagine all supporters getting together and boycotting all matches for one weekend to show their voice does count, but this is just fantasy because we carry on paying the prices until we can't afford it then walk away and complain on forums. We need to understand the power supporters hold, football would still be nothing without the fans and sky doesn't want to cover matches with empty stadiums

Look I agree. But I think, where televised games are concerned anyway, if it did happen sky would just foot the bill and increase their prices to accommodate knowing that if you do boycott you will still want to watch it. Clubs won't be out of pocket and the fans suffer once more.

Ive just heard from an insider at the club that sheik is worried sick tonight with all this talk of a boycott , it will hit his bank balance bad. He told members of the club that he's gonna have to sell some luxery items he never gets much use out of, such as his 15 grand snooker table, 3 camels, his 300 grand rolls royce and scott sinclair!<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 pm --<br /><br />Ive just heard from an insider at the club that sheik is worried sick tonight with all this talk of a boycott , it will hit his bank balance bad. He told members of the club that he's gonna have to sell some luxery items he never gets much use out of, such as his 15 grand snooker table, 3 camels, his 300 grand rolls royce and scott sinclair!

johnmc said:
nwhn3 said:
johnmc said:

Look I agree. But I think, where televised games are concerned anyway, if it did happen sky would just foot the bill and increase their prices to accommodate knowing that if you do boycott you will still want to watch it. Clubs won't be out of pocket and the fans suffer once more.

Maybe but ultimately sky pay for a product. If the atmosphere and passion is no longer at games, you don't get the same thing you saw at the weekend with the derby. UK fans may still watch but would you still get the worldwide audience or would it start to go the same way as italian football in the early nineties. Sky don't get the subscription, sky can't pay the money, footballers go elsewhere.

nwhn3 said:
Maybe but ultimately sky pay for a product. If the atmosphere and passion is no longer at games, you don't get the same thing you saw at the weekend with the derby. UK fans may still watch but would you still get the worldwide audience or would it start to go the same way as italian football in the early nineties. Sky don't get the subscription, sky can't pay the money, footballers go elsewhere.

Yes and if a derby was ever boycotted that would send a message. But we both know there is a reason why Norwich is the suggestion for a boycott.

johnmc said:
nwhn3 said:

Yes and if a derby was ever boycotted that would send a message. But we both know there is a reason why Norwich is the suggestion for a boycott.

Exactly, and the same reason why nothing will change.

I am afraid you reap what you sow, as we've witnessed over at OT for some time now.

The more succesful you become, the more people want to knock you off your perch ( copyright of Sir Alex Ferguson ). You will become the team others want to beat, and the more you win, the more people will turn up hoping to see your asses getting kicked.

The more people want to see their team play City, the more the clubs will charge. A classic example was back in the 2004/5 season against Birmingham. United played away against Birmingham City and they charged us £50.. FIFTY GOD DAMN QUID... The following week they were playing Bolton at home, and charging away fans £15.

Thats how stupid it gets, and because your now a Category A team, the clubs will whack up the prices knowing that fans will pay it. The more you are recognised, the more it will cost you to go watch your own team.

sadly, as we at United found ( I was a founder member of FC United and haven't been inside OT since 2005 ) as one mug walks out the door, another mug will take their place, and so will be the case with City. Loyal fans, those who've been going for decades through thick and thin, will find themselves priced out, and some flash twat from London who only supports the team because they are succesful and it suits him image to be attached to the most succesful team, will whack the cost of a ST on his credit card and gladly take their place.

Like it or not, you will find that everything thats happened over at OT will happen to your fans, because thats the price you pay for success.

Personally, I'd give up every trophy I've ever seen United lift, to get back to the days when loyalty to the team actually meant something. Now its purely about ££££££.. A vicious circle.

The team wins trophies
The club gains more supporters
Demand to get tickets rise
THe ticket prices go up
More local fans get priced out
Tourists start turning up
The club makes more money off merchandise, package deals etc
The club attracts better sponsors
The club makes more money
The club can afford better players
The better players win more trophies

And so ad infinitum...

nwhn3 said:
johnmc said:
, football would still be nothing without the fans and sky doesn't want to cover matches with empty stadiums
Really ?

So if every fan who normally went to a live game didn't go, where do you suppose they would go and watch the game ?

In the pub... Oh guess what Sky get paid a huge amount by the pubs for the right to screen it

At home.... To watch the game at home you need to buy a subscription for the right to watch it. Who do you buy that subscription off ? Of course.. SKY.

The actual real truth is Sky couldn't give two cahoots if the game is televised and the ground is half empty. Because for every empty seat there is a football fan somewhere sat watching on TV and rather than the clubs making money from the fans buying the tickets, who gets the money instead.. Yes, you've guessed it SKY.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm --<br /><br />
brocky32 said:
You have made my head hurt pokerjokerz!!

It wasn't my 2p guvnor honest.. I never threw nuffink..

:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.