A return to safe standing

marios stress ball said:
It is also safe to jump and push and kick in a mosh pit at a concert.... And stand at rugby matches.... And it's safe to stand in all leagues but the top 2.... And it's safe to stand in the 1st four years in the top 2 divisions... And it's safe to take beer to your seat at cricket etc etc.

Football fans are discriminated against like we're not the same as everyone else in the country!

And some fans are just happy to sit there, they'll never question anything, never disagree, sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.....

It's sheep we're up against.....

There is no reasonable logic to safe standing other than stuborn government politics

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
marios stress ball said:
It is also safe to jump and push and kick in a mosh pit at a concert.... And stand at rugby matches.... And it's safe to stand in all leagues but the top 2.... And it's safe to stand in the 1st four years in the top 2 divisions... And it's safe to take beer to your seat at cricket etc etc.

Football fans are discriminated against like we're not the same as everyone else in the country!

And some fans are just happy to sit there, they'll never question anything, never disagree, sometimes I think they must have wool in their ears.....

It's sheep we're up against.....
Lol I see what you did there ;)

All we can do know is keep up the pressure. The FSF(as mentioned before) do great work for football fans and keep up the pressure on politicians, if you go on the website and read their safe standing campaign it has a list of things you can do to help. The lib dems had safe standing on their agenda and the pm is a big football fan, there is a 2nd reading on the Bill(check it out by googling 'safe standing roadshow') in about 55 days from now. I think there is a great chance of parliament seeing sense this time. As soon as they do so will the clubs!

So, don't give up, keep up pressure, sign petitions and check out the FSF's campaign!!
:)

I still think that terracing at football matches has been made the scapegoat for a bad policing decision all those years ago at Hillsborough. The officer in charge allowed an estimated 3000 extra fans through the gates at the Leppin lane end because he feared there was a danger to lives outside the ground near the entrances due to there being so many fans congregating in one area. Common sense states that you do not allow those fans into a terrace already populated fully and where gravity plays a part in crushing all the people at the front. We're still paying for this bad decision all these years later. Safe standing like the picture shown on the FSF Safe Standing petition is definately the answer and fans should have the choice whether to stand or sit and more people in a standing area would bring the prices down and create more atmosphere so the whole day would be far more enjoyable. I totally agree with every comment on this site regarding bringing back terracing as we have to look at the full picture and not blame terracing for a horrific tragedy that happened 23 years ago. Other factors were involved in the Hillsborough tragedy, i.e. wrong decisions by officers in charge, bad policing, bad stewarding, fencing, allowing fans without tickets to get to the ground but because those things can't be changed, the authorities have to be seen to be doing something they can affect and that is the prevention of terracing.

A really cheap way to increase ground capacity.

It will never happen though unfortunately due to the history in this country.

MarkDennisTueart said:
I still think that terracing at football matches has been made the scapegoat for a bad policing decision all those years ago at Hillsborough. The officer in charge allowed an estimated 3000 extra fans through the gates at the Leppin lane end because he feared there was a danger to lives outside the ground near the entrances due to there being so many fans congregating in one area. Common sense states that you do not allow those fans into a terrace already populated fully and where gravity plays a part in crushing all the people at the front. We're still paying for this bad decision all these years later. Safe standing like the picture shown on the FSF Safe Standing petition is definately the answer and fans should have the choice whether to stand or sit and more people in a standing area would bring the prices down and create more atmosphere so the whole day would be far more enjoyable. I totally agree with every comment on this site regarding bringing back terracing as we have to look at the full picture and not blame terracing for a horrific tragedy that happened 23 years ago. Other factors were involved in the Hillsborough tragedy, i.e. wrong decisions by officers in charge, bad policing, bad stewarding, fencing, allowing fans without tickets to get to the ground but because those things can't be changed, the authorities have to be seen to be doing something they can affect and that is the prevention of terracing.

I dont think anywhere near 3000 ticketless fans got in that day - the two side pens were half empty, what happened was no one was funnelling fans away from the two centre pens that clearly were full and into the two side pens
The rest of your points I agree with (apart from the phrase bringing back terracing - a picky point I know, but the term to use is the introduction of safe standing areas)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
MarkDennisTueart said:

I dont think anywhere near 3000 ticketless fans got in that day - the two side pens were half empty, what happened was no one was funnelling fans away from the two centre pens that clearly were full and into the two side pens
The rest of your points I agree with (apart from the phrase bringing back terracing - a picky point I know, but the term to use is the introduction of safe standing areas)

The return of terraces is,in my view, a natural progression after the safe standing campaign achieves its objective...is there really much difference between the rows of upturned seats with loads of safety barriers,and a big terrace with just loads of barriers?

In this day and age with electronic turnstiles, an all ticket terrace area,however big is unlikely to be a problem on safety grounds. common sense will prevail in time,i for one can,t wait.
The Kippax,kop,,trent end,the shed.the shelf..all need to return to our football-those who have never experienced standing on a terrace should have the opportunity to do so ....and at a reduced price.

alera said:
A really cheap way to increase ground capacity.

It will never happen though unfortunately due to the history in this country.

How can you still be so dismissive? Years ago this would have sounded a bit daft bit in less than 2 months parlaiment are reviewing it.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
lancs blue said:
Even if the law was changed in England I don't see them allowing a greater capacity in those areas. And as long as UEFA retain their all-seater rule for the CL there's no real incentive for clubs to spend money installing the German-type of interchangeable seat/terrace.

Of course there is an incentive.
For every 10 seats, you get 18 standing - so an area of 4000 seats becomes 7200 - an extra 3200 people per game!
The cost of replacing seats with barriers would take next to no time to pay itself off and it would certainly be cheaper than adding extra tiers behind each goal!

For UEFA games, you simply unlock the seats and revert to the initial 4000 capacity in that area as done in Germany (not that the German's sit down! UEFA only require you have a seat, not that you have to sit in it!!)

If anyone has the money to invest in this and set the standard, it is us. We should install them anyway. Ready for use when the law changes.

Write to City, contact your MP and local media - newspapers and sports radio phone ins, calling for a change in the regulation that insists stadiums are all seated.

And join the Football Supporters' Federation today! - IT IS FREE - at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.fsf.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fsf.org.uk</a> - join the campaign for safe standing areas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.