A striker in January

Never understood the Cavani hype, whenever I see him he's fucking woeful. (with the exception of for Napoli against us) Isn't he pretty much known for being incapable of playing with a partner and only good when he's on his own up front? Isn't that why PSG might get rid and why he's so shit for Uruguay?

I agree with BigOscar, whenever I watch Cavani he is awful, and I think we should start to think about the future. I would rather have Lacazette, 4 years younger and at least as good as Cavani imo.

BigOscar said:
Never understood the Cavani hype, whenever I see him he's fucking woeful. (with the exception of for Napoli against us) Isn't he pretty much known for being incapable of playing with a partner and only good when he's on his own up front? Isn't that why PSG might get rid and why he's so shit for Uruguay?

Cavani is "shit" for PSG because he's pushed to play right wing to make room for Zlatan and his ego being lone striker.

I'l be only going for cavani is we want to continue playing 442, even then at his age and wages its questionable.

I'd much rather we get a hungrier, younger replacement for Edin in the summer and a fitter backup stiker in place of jovetic and continue playing aguero up top on his own. he has shown this season againt both park the bus sides as well as top sides that he can take the lone striker role.

LoveCity said:
Could we get over Benteke please... he is an extremely ordinary striker performing well in a weak team. The like of which we've seen a million times (Michu). He can't pass and is technically limited. He is strong and has a good shot, but Bluemoon savages Dzeko when moves break down because of him and he is a much better player than Benteke with experience in big situations. Put Benteke in our regular situation of playing in tight spaces with quick passing needed and he'd be infuriating.

Now Bony has similar flaws but is better and if we're going to take one of these "main man in weak team" punts on a striker, he would be a better choice. With Bony going to AFCON and us looking like we may successfully grind our way through this injury crisis, perhaps it'll be best to just hold back and wait to see what is available next summer. There are Champions League strikers who could become available next summer or promising strikers who clubs are reluctant to let go of right now (like Paco Alcacer who has the right skill set for a team like City).

I think you are confusing Benteke for Lukaku. Benteke is hardly technically limited in fact he's one of the more technically apt strikers in the PL. He's also quite good in tight spaces and is excellent with his back to goal as a target man. He's also one of the best at winning aerial duels.

That's not to say he's not without flaws one of which is his penchant to roam offsides and from time to time he throws in some terrible games.
He's having a difficult time at Villa because he gets terrible service and there's dearth of creative options for him to play off of at Villa. Put him with some creative players and he'll flourish.

Don't know if he'd be available in January however as Villa will need him to avoid relegation and they were dire at goal scoring in his absence

Most teams now seem to play a variation of 4-5-1, a system that suits City and Aguero who seems to prefer being up front on his own. It is OK to have a Dzeko type of back up player for specific games, or to bring on in late stages of games where our tactics aren't quite going to plan and we need a Hail Mary escape route. Other than that, the only type of striker I would want us to pursue is another Aguero, easier said I know, but it worked with Aguero and Tevez and both players could play up top on their own or together if need be, and if we could find someone with the same characteristics as these two, we'd be well set up.

I'm no cynic said:
Most teams now seem to play a variation of 4-5-1, a system that suits City and Aguero who seems to prefer being up front on his own. It is OK to have a Dzeko type of back up player for specific games, or to bring on in late stages of games where our tactics aren't quite going to plan and we need a Hail Mary escape route. Other than that, the only type of striker I would want us to pursue is another Aguero, easier said I know, but it worked with Aguero and Tevez and both players could play up top on their own or together if need be, and if we could find someone with the same characteristics as these two, we'd be well set up.

Higuain could work well with Sergio?

LesDiablesRouges said:
I think you are confusing Benteke for Lukaku. Benteke is hardly technically limited in fact he's one of the more technically apt strikers in the PL. He's also quite good in tight spaces and is excellent with his back to goal as a target man. He's also one of the best at winning aerial duels.

Watch him with the ball at his feet, something that is actually important in a team like City, and he's quite clumsy. His pass accuracy is worse than Dzeko's and people go on about Dzeko's passing letting down the team. Benteke just looks like the typical big fish in a small pond to me... they are all over the place and while some can step up into bigger teams, the majority seem to not reach the same heights they did at the smaller team. A player like Dzeko would score 25-35 goals a season in these smaller teams who play against less compact defences (because Stoke for example will come at you instead of parking 10 and hitting you on the break) and with less pressure.

I don't think Bony is exceptional either, but he's a better goal scorer and seems a better overall player. And it's also important to remember that Benteke has only scored 12 goals in nearly 3000 minutes of Premier League football this season and last. I think even that Harry Kane kid has a better strike rate. And I guess for a striker this is the most important thing.

Aguero and Dzeko could both be back in as little as 10 days, so I would be quite happy now if we just bide our time until summer and see what the market offers.

Bruun said:
BigOscar said:

Cavani is "shit" for PSG because he's pushed to play right wing to make room for Zlatan and his ego being lone striker.

correct. though i'd take Zlatan,

kippax neil said:
bobmcfc said:
I'm absolutely starting to wonder if we will do any business at all. We've worked our arses off to comply with FFP this season so why would we just mess that up now ?

Our budget is less than £10m if stay within the rules, what can we get that's even worth getting for that price

Thought our limit during the summer was £49m net....and we actually spent £15m net.

Doesn't that leave us £34m for January?

not sure this is right thought we spent a lot more

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.