A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

mackenzie said:
Anyone remember the Unemployment Benefit Office on Aytoun Street? It's still there, boarded up.
It was a complete shithole but anyone I've worked with that spent a few years there said it was the best office they ever worked in.
it was the the fear of being posted there that drove me to get promoted in the Civil Service. Monday mornings when the Dublin boat train arrived were a high spot in the 60s.

unicorn said:
Ducado said:
Does anyone remember Chester's Brewery and their beers?

<a class="postlink" href="http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/chesters-brewery-ardwicksalford.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.u ... lford.html</a>

Did a very good mild until late 90s; the "fighting" tag more to do with the roughness of the pubs than the strength of the beer.
That Chesters Mild was quite strong, smelled like real beer as well, not like the wishy washy crap knocking about today

George Hannah said:
mackenzie said:
Anyone remember the Unemployment Benefit Office on Aytoun Street? It's still there, boarded up.
It was a complete shithole but anyone I've worked with that spent a few years there said it was the best office they ever worked in.
it was the the fear of being posted there that drove me to get promoted in the Civil Service. Monday mornings when the Dublin boat train arrived were a high spot in the 60s.

Lol!!

Honest though, anyone I've ever met who worked there loved it! I guess it was the camaraderie against the odds kind of thing ;-)

mackenzie said:
George Hannah said:
mackenzie said:

Lol!!

Honest though, anyone I've ever met who worked there loved it! I guess it was the camaraderie against the odds kind of thing ;-)
first job of the day was to wash down the stairwells with disinfectant after their use as a convenience by impatient customers.

George Hannah said:
mackenzie said:
George Hannah said:

Lol!!

first job of the day was to wash down the stairwells with disinfectant after their use as a convenience by impatient customers.

I've been told fumigation was almost a weekly event.

mackenzie said:
George Hannah said:
mackenzie said:
Lol!!
I've been told fumigation was almost a weekly event.
true - happy days ;-)

Didsbury fair

Pissing about down the old railway in Didsbury avoiding glue sniffers

Jim hall sports

Spending hours in Sifters pretending to be cool when I was probably looking at bananarama records

The wooden rhinoceraus in the Armdalr

Teachers strikes and having to go to my mates mums wine bar for lunch - anyone remember Fobs

The first ever McDonald's drive through in Europe in fallowfield - that was a treat then

Derek parlane and Jim tolmie banging them in

Hours of football in fog lane park with white dog shit everywhere

Mrs Scott's sweet shop and newsagents

Pink final

Sneaking in to fielden park and building bases

Currys in rusholme

The snakes and croc in the Manchester uni museum

Swimming in wytenshawe or in 100 year old baths in withington

Teachers strikes and getting the whole day off

Farah trousers , pony trainers and power Cardin ski jackets

Belle Vue zoo - though having seen photos zoo is a stretch

Lyme park and the deathslide

School trip to Alton towers

The nuclear free sign coming in

Trying to get chips or other items through open sun roofs from the parra wood bridge on kingsway

Chicago diner in withington

Does anyone remember the Chester's house on Ashton New Rd.;that had the heads of Prime Ministers on the facia.
The pub was very close the Corpy direct works and just before Smithfield Market,it was demolished in the late eighties after being empty for ages.
A bloke at work reckons his dad was a regular in the seventies,but can't remember the pub's name and I thought this thread would be a good place to ask.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.