A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

Only the other day a mate reminded me of the fabled Manchester Arms which was just outside Victoria Station. It was demolished for Picc-Vic - which never happened.

It was an extremely sleazy Burtonwood pub. There was a topless barmaid who doubled as a stripper, 'performing' in a tiny room with one exit, which meant that the poor woman was mercilessly groped by some of the punters.

In retrospect, it was fucking bizarre, and it is now hard to believe it existed. A real example of the 'Life on Mars' Manchester of the early 1970s.

Only the other day a mate reminded me of the fabled Manchester Arms which was just outside Victoria Station. It was demolished for Picc-Vic - which never happened.

It was an extremely sleazy Burtonwood pub. There was a topless barmaid who doubled as a stripper, 'performing' in a tiny room with one exit, which meant that the poor woman was mercilessly groped by some of the punters.

In retrospect, it was fucking bizarre, and it is now hard to believe it existed. A real example of the 'Life on Mars' Manchester of the early 1970s.
Used to go in there for an under-age pint then get the 123 to the match.

Crikey, my dad used to go in there. I thought it was for the beer.

Some footage of Hulme in 1975 about 25 seconds into this
And also what looks like somewhere near Maine Road

I used to live in Heald Green. Does anyone remember what the pub was called on the corner next to the train station? It's changed now.

Before I moved darn sarf, one of my most vivid memories was a fella walking to the pub on matchday with a huge MCFC flag (blue old club badge type) draped around his shoulders. DMs, flares, scarves around his wrists. 1974ish. That and the pub are indelibly etched into my mind.

I went to a home game not long after that and came home singing 'the referee's a wanker' oblivious to what it meant. Mum wasn't happy.

I also remember a vulcan bomber flying in to land at the airport, Heald Green being on the flightpath, another fantastic sight.

You lot probably won't class that as Manchester, but it's a contribution down memory lane.

31 seconds in is Lloyd Street South/Claremont Road junction showing the National Westminster Bank, which was just round the corner from Maine Road

What was the pub on Market St called, on left hand side heading towards M&S, you had to go down stairs?
There was also another pub roughly where WH Smith and Pizza Hut are now opposite the side of M&S, anyone remember what that was called? I'm obviously an old bastard and my memory's going!
Probably already answered but the pub on the left on Market St that you went downstairs was the Sportsman's. I was in there the day the Grand National got called void due to a false Start.
The pub where pizza hut is now on Corperation St opposite M&S was Seftons and there was a bar/club above it in the Arndale called Checkpoint Charlie I think.
Just googled it and I was right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.