Abandoned home matches

Vague memories of being in a pub at Crewe and the game being called off, probably about 15 years ago.
Did the local plod decide the pub was now closed about half four and frog march you to the station onto a train? If so I was in the same pub. I've never been on such a packed train.

A lot of Mr Bell's list never started so were not abandoned, and if postponed Sunderland in 2014 should be added at home.

Abandoned games - I did a full list in my 2006 Manchester City The Complete Record. The full details are in there, but here's the year and the game:

1895 - Burslem Port Vale (H)
1895 - Burslem Port Vale (A)
1898 - Grimsby (A)
1901 - Stoke (A)
1902 - Preston (A)
1902 - Barnsley (H)
1903 - Small Heath (H)
1913 - Sunderland (H)
1921 - Everton (H)
1936 - Brentford (H)
1956 - Blackpool (H)
1958 - Birmingham (H)
1960 - MUFC (H)
1961 - Luton (A)
1962 - Aston Villa (A)
1965 - Norwich (H)
1969 - Newcastle (H)
1974 - MUFC (A) - though the result was allowed to stand!
1994 - Ipswich (H)
2000 - Ipswich (H)

Hope this helps. As for postponed games, nowhere do we have a definitive list, so I'd be particularly interested if people can add to that. Don't forget though that most times City or their planned League opponents have progressed to 5th round of FA Cup (rules varied, so not every time) then the League game would be postponed. Maybe we should stick with a list of weather (or other unforeseen issues) caused a postponement?

Feb 1st 1969 - Newcastle at Maine Rd, it was the Saturday after we beat them in the FA Cup replay in front of 60,000+. The rain was so heavy you could barely see the opposite goal. The ref called it off just after Bobby Owen made it 1-1 a few minutes before HT.

My first game that I went to. My cousin took me (a lot older than me) who lifted me over the turnstile into the Kippax and I also found about 3d. So got in for free plus also pennies in. Still remember the greyness and celebrating the equalizer only because those around me were because of the rain.

thanks Gary.
Another postponed game not mentioned in the list provided was Plymouth away League cup 88. I was on Helen's coach and we got as far as Taunton and turned round. Didnt make it the following night for the rearranged game but did go the Saturday for the league fixture!

thanks Gary.
Another postponed game not mentioned in the list provided was Plymouth away League cup 88. I was on Helen's coach and we got as far as Taunton and turned round. Didnt make it the following night for the rearranged game but did go the Saturday for the league fixture!
Another postponed game Arsenal home fa cup 71,waterlogged pitch at Maine Rd on the Saturday was then played on the Wednesday,i was at that game and Arsenal won the double 71.

Did that game actually start? If not then it's postponed not abandoned. I've no record of it starting but will investigate. Cheers
Sorry for confusing you Gary but that game did not start,I was just adding to the list of postponed matches not games that were abandoned (started).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.