About to lose my job, looking to start a new career, any advice please...

I only switched office to office but went from finance to publishing through a combination of temping and self-funded writing courses. I was also in London where the good opportunities are.

Work wise, I went from temp to six month rolling to permanent in two years by working hard and keeping my head down.

Is there anywhere that isn’t fussy ?
When I say 'fussy', some countries just require a bit more than others for entry, and especially long term entry .... they are a bit more particular, and have rules on criminals entering for example..... not that i'm judging that the OP is one!

The US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand come in that bracket ....

Last edited:

My mate works for Northern Rail. Seems like a decent place to work. I’d probably try myself if I ever got made redundant.

Always loads of jobs going. His advice is always, don’t go for one of the really popular jobs like train driver. There’s too many apply and your chances are very slim. Go for something a bit shit looking and once you’ve got in, it’s a lot easier to move up the ladder, than trying to get straight in on a good job.

When I say 'fussy', some countries just require a bit more than others for entry, and especially long term entry .... they are a bit more particular, and have rules on criminals entering for example..... not that i'm judging that the OP is one!

The US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand come in that bracket ....
Shirley Oz welcomes criminals!

If you're interested in a trade try and see if you can get on board as a labourer somewhere. Get a taste for the environment before committing to peanuts apprentice money. I did this for a solar firm and have seen enough to know I wouldn't want to be doing it forever, but it pays well and there's no stress to it.

Insurance industry is always crying out for good people. I know you said you don’t like office jobs, but it may help whilst you study to do what you want.

Loads of opportunities, pretty much recession proof, and you can earn good money too.

Give me a shout if you want any advice

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.