Academy Players in the First Team

I have no problem bringing in the money - the academy is doing a great job - but the particular players mentioned ARE exceptional, at least at the EDS level. Without giving them minutes, how do we know if they are, or are not, way beyond players like Doku or Olise?
But that's the issue, can those players make the next step? Realistically we can't just throw players in Its not the right way to develop a young player, you bed them in slowly, that's what Pep did with Foden and now look at him. I don't think the fans would accept it if results went wrong either especially looking at some of the posts about some players.

Last edited:
We have the chance this season for Oscar Bobb, Cole Palmer, and James McAtee to move to regular first team positions, yet as soon as anyone mentions this as a possible Mahrez replacement there are howls of how they're not good enough.

Meanwhile, Romeo Lavia is declared as one we should have kept, should have been given the chance, and should have been Rodri's back up.

Why do some only value academy talent when it leaves?

If now isn't the time to use players from the academy, when is that time?

In my opinion, those three represent a wonderful opportunity to backup the front line of KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Grealish, Kovacic, Alvarez and Haaland; what's your view?
Id take a season of lower expectations for us to do this. It's important (I reckon) for them to bed into big games and handling the pressure.

In future I'm hoping we can play a nearly full team of academy and Manchester-born players.

A talent from the academy has got to be exceptional to get a good run in the first team and we aren't going to see many of them. I'd get more bothered if the lads from the academy were born and bred northerners but they are not, in many instances we have bought them in.

Let the academy just do its job and bring in the money for them.
There are quite a lot of local lads at U21 & U18 level.

They have restructured the EDS Premier League 2 for the coming season... probably to make it a little more difficult for City to win again.

PL2 has been restructured for the new season with just one division made up of 26 clubs with Category One Academies. Teams were divided into five pots based on their performances over the past three seasons.

There will be 20 match weeks, with each team playing 20 regular-season matches throughout the campaign. Teams play each club in their own seeding pot once, as well as three to five teams in all other pots either home or away.

After the regular season has been completed, the top 16 teams will qualify for a single elimination play-off. Teams will be drawn against each other based on their league positions, for example the team finishing first facing the team that finished 16th. These will be one-off elimination matches with the higher-seeded team at home.

In addition, the teams finishing the regular season in the top 12 will also be invited to take part in the following season’s Premier League International Cup competition. The changes came about after an extensive review of Professional Development Phase competitions.

They have restructured the EDS Premier League 2 for the coming season... probably to make it a little more difficult for City to win again.

PL2 has been restructured for the new season with just one division made up of 26 clubs with Category One Academies. Teams were divided into five pots based on their performances over the past three seasons.

There will be 20 match weeks, with each team playing 20 regular-season matches throughout the campaign. Teams play each club in their own seeding pot once, as well as three to five teams in all other pots either home or away.

After the regular season has been completed, the top 16 teams will qualify for a single elimination play-off. Teams will be drawn against each other based on their league positions, for example the team finishing first facing the team that finished 16th. These will be one-off elimination matches with the higher-seeded team at home.

In addition, the teams finishing the regular season in the top 12 will also be invited to take part in the following season’s Premier League International Cup competition. The changes came about after an extensive review of Professional Development Phase competitions.
Yeah, I still can't decide whether I like that or not as some teams are going to end up playing less games and that can't help with development.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.