Academy Sales Summer 2022

While that is true, Lavia is 18 and there are hardly any teenage players in the whole of the Premier League, that make regular appearances for their clubs, and definitely not in the PL.
It is a dilemma but we also know that only the true elite will make it with us. Of the academy players that have moved on, how many would you choose now to replace a member of our first team squad?
I would select a fit Lavia over an injured Phillips. Hopefully Phillips stays injury free.

I agree about most of what has been written on here about selling young players but Lavia is a strange one as he’s been consistently outstanding in the youth ranks. In contrast, Luke Mbete has been out of his depth at times in the EDS Champs League equivalent.

I would select a fit Lavia over an injured Phillips. Hopefully Phillips stays injury free.

I agree about most of what has been written on here about selling young players but Lavia is a strange one as he’s been consistently outstanding in the youth ranks. In contrast, Luke Mbete has been out of his depth at times in the EDS Champs League equivalent.
I think it is a case of Lavia being too good now for the EDS and a PL opportunity is the only way forward. I would have liked it to have been with us but we compete at the very highest levels and him gaining experience of high level football for a couple of years can only be of benefit. We forget, sometimes, that this guy is just 18 and I cannot think of a top level defensive midfielder playing at such a level - Camavinga apart.

He has been ok nothing outstanding like when you watch delap MCtear and palmer who stand out like a beacon!

Anyway he has a chance now to prove himself at a Southampton and if he gets to Man City standards we have that buyback in 2/3 years time! We are the winner here…

these sales also show a clearer pathway for future academy players/recruits. Even if a player doesn't make the City 1st team, their chances of playing in the premier league or championship as a professional footballer are likely higher than playing for 99% of other clubs. academies.

the club can show clearer progression

Lavia has been brilliant for 2 seasons for the EDS. He won player of the year in 20/21 (ahead of Delap) and he only turned 17 halfway through that season.

It’s great for him he is going to get games now in the premier and he gets to our standards we have that buy back so hope he does brilliantly!

It’s great for him he is going to get games now in the premier and he gets to our standards we have that buy back so hope he does brilliantly!
Agreed. I think any proper City fan hopes that a young player like this leaves and really proves themselves so that they return, if they are not going to be given an immediate place in the team.

The buy back is likely to be irrelevant IMHO. People don’t like owning up to mistakes. Anyone who watched the EDS consistently will know Lavia has been outstanding. He’s got his chance to prove himself at Saints like you say.

The buy back is likely to be irrelevant IMHO. People don’t like owning up to mistakes.
I see it as the opposite the buy back is in place because they know the player has the ability to play for us just not the pathway.
If we ever utilise the buyback it will likely mean we've got a player we think is ready for our first team at a discounted rate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.