Academy Sales Summer 2022

I see it as the opposite the buy back is in place because they know the player has the ability to play for us just not the pathway.
If we ever utilise the buyback it will likely mean we've got a player we think is ready for our first team at a discounted rate.
That might well prove to be the case. We would need to make enormous savings on the buy backs because of all the lower selling prices we’ve accepted to insert these clauses.

No definite pathway into the first team.
There is a pathway both Foden and Palmer have proved this, the bar is so high now that only exceptional talents will achieve the standard required.
The demand for success means we will not gamble on Academy players and even if they are deemed good enough they will be introduced gradually.

The demand for success means we will not gamble on Academy players and even if they are deemed good enough they will be introduced gradually.
....and rightly so, we produce an enormous amount of talent now, and it pays for the likes of Foden and Palmer to make the first team squads.

The buy back or sell on clauses are good business, but it's also good for the individual as they get to play first team football that they would not likely get here with us.

....and rightly so, we produce an enormous amount of talent now, and it pays for the likes of Foden and Palmer to make the first team squads.

The buy back or sell on clauses are good business, but it's also good for the individual as they get to play first team football that they would not likely get here with us.
Couldn't agree more, I fully understand when people are not happy because a certain talent who they like doesn't make it with us,, but I know as a club we do everything to help the players who don't make it with us.
None of them should give up because they don't make it with us doesn't mean they won't go on to have good careers.

That might well prove to be the case. We would need to make enormous savings on the buy backs because of all the lower selling prices we’ve accepted to insert these clauses.

If we were buying everyone back then that is true, but likely it will be one in twenty or one in fifty that we buy back. The only one so far is Angelino and we sold him again at another profit. There is a link between the selling price and the buy-back price, something like 2 or 3 x the original selling price

If we sell 20 payers at £10M that makes us £200M orofit.
If we buy one back at £30M then we are still £170M up.

Plus, even if we don't want a player back but the buying club can sell them for more than the buy-back price we simply buy them and sell them to the 3rd party, or cut a deal to get a share of the extra £'s above the buy back price,

Lower selling prices but with sell-ons usually.

I'm not convinced it is that way round. If the buying club has a fixed multiple of the buying price as a buy back then it encourages them to spend more initially so they make more on the buy back. I think we are getting better selling prices because that raises the buy back price.

While that is true, Lavia is 18 and there are hardly any teenage players in the whole of the Premier League, that make regular appearances for their clubs, and definitely not in the PL.
It is a dilemma but we also know that only the true elite will make it with us. Of the academy players that have moved on, how many would you choose now to replace a member of our first team squad?
I don’t think you can fairly say that, if someone like Brahim Diaz stayed around and got the coaching and development at City he’d be miles better as a player than he is now. I don’t think you can look at any player who’s left and say they would/wouldn’t have been good enough for us because the pathway they’ve taken often doesn’t make them a better footballer

I don’t think you can fairly say that, if someone like Brahim Diaz stayed around and got the coaching and development at City he’d be miles better as a player than he is now. I don’t think you can look at any player who’s left and say they would/wouldn’t have been good enough for us because the pathway they’ve taken often doesn’t make them a better footballer
Great point, and I mean no criticism of those that have gone. The mental strength, to believe in yourself enough to stay and earn your place, in a team of this quality, is such a rare commodity, and a risk too. Who knows if any of those that have gone would have gone on to be great players, but we move on. There is little joy like experiencing an academy player making it and I hope that Palmer is next, and McAtee soon after.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.