Accounts are out for 2017/18 - revenues over £500m, profit of £10.4m

If we wanted to make regular money from players in the future, it would from deals like Iheanacho's. £25m for a player who skirted around the first team for 2 years but didn't quite fit and wasn't going to be a world beater here, and if we'd not demanded a cheap buy back, it would have been more. Also squad players who don't massively contribute shouldn't be kept as long, player values basically halves when they hit 30 if you look at historical transfer fees.

That’s true enough, but this is clearly a critical part of our business model. Without the £30m from player sales, there would have been no profit

I totally agree without strategy of selling fringe players and players who we sign and loan then sell. I don’t want us to sell Sane or Sterling or any other top player unless it’s in the club’s best interest.

I think the point @taleofbluehalves made about selling those 2 is the most important with regards to selling starters. If we sell Leroy for 80/100/120m, we're not likely to replace him for less. Look at Barcelona, they got the biggest windfall in history with €200m for Neymar and then had to spend €140 on Dembele, a player who'd have been worth half that before the Neymar deal, but everyone knew they had the money and how values had been changed overnight.

Good figures overall but a couple of bum notes. Other operating expenses (excluding wages) are still increasing in line with revenue when I'd have hoped they'd stay pretty much the same. Also there was cash introduced of £58m during the year. There's no cashflow statement so it's not really possible to say if that's for a specific purpose or to prop up cashflow, when we've been self-sufficient for a few years now.

I think the point @taleofbluehalves made about selling those 2 is the most important with regards to selling starters. If we sell Leroy for 80/100/120m, we're not likely to replace him for less. Look at Barcelona, they got the biggest windfall in history with €200m for Neymar and then had to spend €140 on Dembele, a player who'd have been worth half that before the Neymar deal, but everyone knew they had the money and how values had been changed overnight.
Exactly! nonsense to sell our best players!

Barcelona got played then. They still got Malcom for €40mil the season after. We've got 4 great wide players, so if we had to replace one, we'd walk away if it didn't make sense and probably look to strengthen in other areas.

Besides, PSG made a lot of money from selling fringe players, even though everyone knew they were desperate due to FFP. They had a deadline they had to balance the books by and still got over the odds for some average players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.