Adam Johnson discuss.....

nehe11 said:
Talented, Lazy, Unfit?
Go on.....

He is lazy and unfit for sure. How a professional football can be anything but at the top of their fitness/potential is beyond me. There must be really something wrong for him to have just turned into what he has.

As it stands, he would be a great player for a lower league Premier league team but you can guarantee that if he played in a Champion's League final against United/Real/Barce/Bayern/Whoever, you would not even know he was on the pitch. That is the standard his game is at.

Adam Johnson should not be sold...too many fans forgetting that you need players sat on the bench that could effect a game...apart from forwards that player is AJ. You need to look at his time on pitch and gaols scored and assist stats. I bet he's the most influential sub in the EPL last season, agreed he's not effective versus the bigger teams.

There's also the other cup games where players need to be rested and AJ can do a job...again he's not as effective when used from the start.

I can't believe Hodgson would pick Stuart Downing over AJ who had no goals and no assists for Liverpool last season and has never scored for England in 34 games.....It shows just how bad the guy is...clue less!!!

Lets get behind AJ because he aint going nowhere unless one of the top 5 clubs come in for him as his wages are too rich at 80k per week!!!

johnbmcr said:
Skashion said:
Efficiency (goals and assists per minute) of Premier League players who played over 900 minutes of football last season:

Player, Team, Minutes player, Goals, Assists, G&Apm

Papiss Cisse Newcastle United 1113 13 2 74.20
Robin van Persie Arsenal 3244 30 12 77.24
Edin Dzeko Manchester City 1499 14 5 78.89
Sergio Aguero Manchester City 2598 23 9 81.19
Wayne Rooney Manchester United 2838 27 5 88.69
Ashley Young Manchester United 1573 6 11 92.53
Adam Johnson Manchester City 1134 6 6 94.50
Mario Balotelli Manchester City 1325 13 1 94.64
Adebayor Tottenham Hotspur 2836 17 12 97.79
Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur 1285 11 2 98.85

Convincing stats but why do people still not rate him curious? been watching all our goals on the City Web site both Johnson and Džeko look pretty good but maybe they have become tainted so need to move on to fresh start and all that agree that of all our lot he's the least improved so not sure what he's been asked to do or how he performs in training somethings not gelling

He should stay providing he's happy to continue coming from the bench...yes the stats are impressive but most home games when he comes on we've already won the game and the opposition are knackered. He's disapointing in that he never does anything these days in the big games. All the talent but miss guided individual who has been overpaid at 80k per week and seems happy to be a bit part player based on his effort and lifestyle.

ABU inc GDR said:
johnbmcr said:
Skashion said:
Efficiency (goals and assists per minute) of Premier League players who played over 900 minutes of football last season:

Player, Team, Minutes player, Goals, Assists, G&Apm

Papiss Cisse Newcastle United 1113 13 2 74.20
Robin van Persie Arsenal 3244 30 12 77.24
Edin Dzeko Manchester City 1499 14 5 78.89
Sergio Aguero Manchester City 2598 23 9 81.19
Wayne Rooney Manchester United 2838 27 5 88.69
Ashley Young Manchester United 1573 6 11 92.53
Adam Johnson Manchester City 1134 6 6 94.50
Mario Balotelli Manchester City 1325 13 1 94.64
Adebayor Tottenham Hotspur 2836 17 12 97.79
Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur 1285 11 2 98.85

Convincing stats but why do people still not rate him curious? been watching all our goals on the City Web site both Johnson and Džeko look pretty good but maybe they have become tainted so need to move on to fresh start and all that agree that of all our lot he's the least improved so not sure what he's been asked to do or how he performs in training somethings not gelling

He should stay providing he's happy to continue coming from the bench...yes the stats are impressive but most home games when he comes on we've already won the game and the opposition are knackered. He's disapointing in that he never does anything these days in the big games. All the talent but miss guided individual who has been overpaid at 80k per week and seems happy to be a bit part player based on his effort and lifestyle.

Agree. If he's happy to be a bit part player then fine. He's not got 90 mins in him for some reason, absolutely no engine. He can win you a game in the final 15 mins but if as I suspect he wants more football then he has to go elsewhere.
Personally I think Ade + AJ + Cash could get Spuds to part with Bale.

It's impossible to have a squad of 25 world class players
Look at the rags title winning squads from the last twenty years, which have included some very mediocre players

I want to focus on one individual though and I liken Adam Johnson to him, Ole Gunnar Solskjær
A player that was happy to be included in the squad and knew he wasn't first choice. A fantastic impact player who scored some of the most important goals for the rags when they were desperately needed

Johnson's biggest issue is that Mancini wants him to play as a wrong sided winger, while in that role he does chip in with more than the odd goal(for mins played), his overall play at times can be disappointing. Indeed the thoery behind the whole is they provide more goals less crosses, something that is very much true in this case.

Long term the whole thing is something of a problem, because while Johnson is "only" a squad player, he is also our only winger and when teams set up like QPR did last game of the season(simply defending the top side of the 18 yard box)we often struggle to break them down. We are crying out for a player that has pace to burn(something Johnson lacks)and can handle playing wrong sided(something Mancini favours).

As a result of the above I really don't see him here much longer, it's not that I don't think he can "make it" I simply don't think he can make it with us, unless we change the whole way we play and given our success over the last two seasons, that seems unlikely.

While on the subject, for my money I have always felt if your going to play that wrong footed role, you are much better served using a fast striker anyway(something right now we also lack), wingers tend to be very one footed when it comes to crossing and as Johnson proves the amount of "good" right footed crosses he puts in through the course of one season can be counted on one hand.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Johnson's biggest issue is that Mancini wants him to play as a wrong sided winger, while in that role he does chip in with more than the odd goal(for mins played), his overall play at times can be disappointing. Indeed the thoery behind the whole is they provide more goals less crosses, something that is very much true in this case.

Long term the whole thing is something of a problem, because while Johnson is "only" a squad player, he is also our only winger and when teams set up like QPR did last game of the season(simply defending the top side of the 18 yard box)we often struggle to break them down. We are crying out for a player that has pace to burn(something Johnson lacks)and can handle playing wrong sided(something Mancini favours).

As a result of the above I really don't see him here much longer, it's not that I don't think he can "make it" I simply don't think he can make it with us, unless we change the whole way we play and given our success over the last two seasons, that seems unlikely.

While on the subject, for my money I have always felt if your going to play that wrong footed role, you are much better served using a fast striker anyway(something right now we also lack), wingers tend to be very one footed when it comes to crossing and as Johnson proves the amount of "good" right footed crosses he puts in through the course of one season can be counted on one hand.

Theory is that playing on the same flank as your feet means that you must be a pacy, fast winger, eg. Bale, Valencia, Walcott, Lennon...

Whereas playing on the opposite flank of your foot, means that you are a tricky, clever winger, eg. Robben, Ribery, Messi, Nani, Ronaldo...

Johnson's not the fastest winger, but at his last best, he was a clever, dangerous winger cutting in between defenders, and getting the occassional goal.

Also, the reason Mancini employs opposite foot wingers was to keep the midfield narrow, while the full backs provide width.

While I agree that we need wide wingers like Bale, I don't, and never will concur with the statement that AJ performs better on the left. The reason AJ has been getting the slate was because he has lost his ability to beat defenders, which is what he based his football around.

AJ has NEVER been a crossing winger. There are CROSSING wingers out there - Bale, Valencia, etc who build their play around beating a man and crossing.

As much as I hate to say it, AJ's mould is much more similar to Messi, albeit without the tremendous technical ability, but AJ's more about beating a man and getting into those dangerous areas, opening spaces and worrying defenders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.