Adebayor to Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When SWP was leaving, I was saying to my City mates that we should sign Aaron Lennon and Tom Huddlestone. Leeds and Derby were in financial trouble at the time, and I had seen both players star for England U-15's against Brazil a couple of years before.

It's amazing that Frank Arnesen was being hailed a genious for spotting them, when almost every coach in England must have known of their potential.

I think both of those players haven't fulfilled their potential, but I would still take a chance on Lennon.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lennon, so would rather we sell off Ade elsewhere.

Funny thing about the transfer stories involving Spurs, it always starts with "Spurs hope to ..." and ends with "but paying anything might be a potential stumbling block".

I'm hoping this one is just an example of Spuds wishful thinking.

moomba said:
Dribble said:
We had the heads up on 2 players when SWP was leaving for Chelsea..... Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon.

2 words: Stuart Pearce!

Another 4 words: Samaras & Dickov instead!!

Makes you wonder what could have been..............

Don't remember Lennon being linked to us at any stage when he was at Leeds.

We could never have afforded Walcott, and he never would have come to us.

Under Pearce we made around an £11m profit in the transfer market and picked up Joe Hart. And we stayed in the league despite all that. We could have done worse.
The clue is in heads-up. They were being touted to us when they were just young prospects and a season or so later both Arsenal and Spurs signed them and the rest is history.

Steve whatsisface who came to us from Southampton as Pearce's assistant told him to go for Theo Walcott because he was a star of the future and probably available for £2m with add-ons. Aaron Lennon was already being looked at by Premier League clubs and it was reported at the time that £2.5m would seal the deal but Pearce went for Samaras and Dickov instead.

TBH mate, in my opinion under Pearce Manchester City played the most boring and worst football I've ever seen us play since I started supporting the club over 30 years ago. Sure Pearce bought Joe hart to the club, but he also bought Bernardo Corroded and said that Matthew Mills was a future England captain!!

All Managers get some right and some wrong, but for me Pearce's brand of football was just the most depressing thing I've seen from us as team in my lifetime. :-(

Dribble said:
moomba said:
Dribble said:
We had the heads up on 2 players when SWP was leaving for Chelsea..... Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon.

2 words: Stuart Pearce!

Another 4 words: Samaras & Dickov instead!!

Makes you wonder what could have been..............

Under Pearce we made around an £11m profit in the transfer market and picked up Joe Hart. And we stayed in the league despite all that. We could have done worse.
The clue is in heads-up. They were being touted to us when they were just young prospects and a season or so later both Arsenal and Spurs signed them and the rest is history.

Steve whatsisface who came to us from Southampton as Pearce's assistant told him to go for Theo Walcott because he was a star of the future and probably available for £2m with add-ons. Aaron Lennon was already being looked at by Premier League clubs and it was reported at the time that £2.5m would seal the deal but Pearce went for Samaras and Dickov instead. :-(

I think you will find out there are 4 or 5 years difference between Walcott and Lennon.

mad zab said:
Dribble said:
moomba said:

Steve whatsisface who came to us from Southampton as Pearce's assistant told him to go for Theo Walcott because he was a star of the future and probably available for £2m with add-ons. Aaron Lennon was already being looked at by Premier League clubs and it was reported at the time that £2.5m would seal the deal but Pearce went for Samaras and Dickov instead. :-(

I think you will find out there are 4 or 5 years difference between Walcott and Lennon.
If you're talking age, I think you'll find that Lennon was born in 1987 and Walcott in 1989.

Dribble said:
mad zab said:
Dribble said:

If you're talking age, I think you'll find that Lennon was born in 1987 and Walcott in 1989.

Yep your right mate!! Just seems Lennon has been around longer.

However, Lennon joined Spuds for 1.8m, a fee we could afford, whilst Walcott joined Arse for 10m, a fee we couldn't afford.

Dribble said:

Walcott was never available for £2m, he was the hottest property in the country at the time and was linked to Chelsea and Arsenal. He had his pick of clubs, and would never have come to us even if we could work out a deal.

Lennon was sold to Spurs (for £1m) in Pearces first transfer window, before we had sold SWP and presumably before we had any money to spend on anyone. Samaras didn't arrive for another 6 months, Dickov didn't arrive for another year.

moomba said:
Dribble said:

Walcott was never available for £2m, he was the hottest property in the country at the time and was linked to Chelsea and Arsenal. He had his pick of clubs, and would never have come to us even if we could work out a deal.

Lennon was sold to Spurs (for £1m) in Pearces first transfer window, before we had sold SWP and presumably before we had any money to spend on anyone. Samaras didn't arrive for another 6 months, Dickov didn't arrive for another year.

You are right regarding Lennon, but he was known to have potential. Like I said I was saying to mates that we should sign him, but none of them knew who he was. However, I am sure those within football must have known about him.

moomba said:
Dribble said:

I recall reading an article when Steve Wiggly first came to us and Walcott was the name that he was singing the highest praises of and this was the first time I or most people had ever heard of him. I'm not going to get into the semantics of exact timelines because that's not my point. My point is that Walcott and Lennon were being mentioned and were available at the time and within our price-range. But Pearce pursued other targets when it was blatantly obvious that a club in our perilous financial position needed to be signing obvious talent like those two.

History proved the likes of Pearce wrong and it was at times like those that I wish i had a voice or a hotline to the powers that were, because even lowly me could see the potential in Walcott and Lennon, but apparently Pearce thought it more prudent to piss away a reputed £6m fee on Samaras which BTW was our entire transfer budget that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.