Affinity with West Ham. How did it start?

Is it a widely felt affinity or a Bluemoon myth?

Widely felt as far as I know, most blues I know if you ask which club from london the don't mind it's the hammers, in fact I haven't heard a blue say they don't though I know some who would say QPR

Think it was that we both appreciated our teams trying to play nice football even though we were both shite, add to that west ham were never a fanbase that shown the dickhead arrogance of other london clubs.

I worked with a hammer here in manc years ago and he used to go city when not going down to london, as he said it was the only club in northwest he could relate to.

Then you have the bish, morley, ward, lomas, etc connection.

And also though oinly in a very small way I think it may also be because they wear our proper away colours, but aren't ****s like burnley or villa (though I knew a lot of blues who had an afinity with vill till recently)

I sometime see it like the afinity with torino

Think it was from the last game of the season back in the late 80's we were relegated, they stayed up. The 'ammers all invaded to pitch and marched up to the city end in a whole goading way. We all started singing "we'll meet again, dont know where dont know when..." the atmosphere changed and our relegation party started. They were lining the streets applauding us on the way back up to the tube.... silly fuckers.
This. Although as I remember it they came to our end and the City fans were ready for a fight, I thought they were singing Lyall supporters (John Lyall was their manager at the time), but they were singing Loyal supporters to us; once they started singing we only hate man united it became a completely loved up atmosphere. The most pleasant of all of our relegation experiences. The other empathy with them is that both teams have a reputation for playing good football, and winning fuck all (although we have now fucked up the last part of that sentence)

My "affinity" started with half a dozen coach windows being put through after Joe Royle scored a late winner at Upton Park in '77, I'm no fonder of them than any other London club though if pushed I might give QPR the nod. And before anyone asks, yes I was there in '87.

My "affinity" started with half a dozen coach windows being put through after Joe Royle scored a late winner at Upton Park in '77, I'm no fonder of them than any other London club though if pushed I might give QPR the nod. And before anyone asks, yes I was there in '87.
But we’re y at York:)

how many players have we shared over the years? I'm only 30 so will need some help..

Trevor Sinclair
Pablo Zabaleta
Joe Hart
Eyal Berkovic
Carlos Tevez
Craig Bellamy
Wayne Bridge
David James
Frank Lampard
Paulo Wanchope

Pearce

Think it was from the last game of the season back in the late 80's we were relegated, they stayed up. The 'ammers all invaded to pitch and marched up to the city end in a whole goading way. We all started singing "we'll meet again, dont know where dont know when..." the atmosphere changed and our relegation party started. They were lining the streets applauding us on the way back up to the tube.... silly fuckers.
Remember the game well. Second away game as a young teenager and the Hammers fans were superb that day. In total contrast to my first away game, also that season I think to Everton away midweek iirc (lost I think as well). Their fans, stewards and even the police were absolute dogs.

I had a soft spot since the 80 cup final , kids today won’t get what it meant to us the cup final Saturday them days , only really live footy each year , whole day dedicated to the game , even on the coach travelling to Wembley with the players they had a camera on it. They were the underdogs , were 2rd division and beat arsenal loved it . Also our last game at Upton Park we lost, we was walking out got chatting to 3 , took us back to there dodgy estate, few drinks then off to the vic tavern which was an experience, where I kept my gob shut, but was good day , we still keep in touch with them good lot .
I know the Victoria Tavern...a lively place..

I remember in the 90s City and West Ham both used to get referred to as “everyone’s second club”.

I guess because we were no threat to winning anything, a bit of an underdog. But fairly big clubs with a passionate, loyal support, who also had a reputation as being welcoming to families.

I always had a bit of a soft spot for them, and it seems like many West Ham fans feel the same about City. In the cesspit that social media has become, fans of all teams seem to be universal in their hatred of City. Except West Ham fans.

You regularly see “proper fans, proper club” type comments from West Ham fans about City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.