Affinity with West Ham. How did it start?

I seem to recall it was after a West Ham game a policeman was beaten up on the tube by City fans for which several received long jail sentences. Not sure what all the circumstances of the fighting was about.

Edit: this was in the 70's.

Last edited:
I would have thought there were about 5k Blues there that day, so would it not be possible there were 14k West Ham fans, or even (heaven forbid) the given attendance was officially lower than it really was? (Happened a lot in those days, ask my namesake)
5k may have turned up but I'm not sure they all got in, West Ham had only allocated less than half the terrace behind that goal initially and once it filled up with Blues still queuing outside they eventually opened the segregation pen but couldn't give us the whole end as they'd already let home fans into the remaining section.

5k may have turned up but I'm not sure they all got in, West Ham had only allocated less than half the terrace behind that goal initially and once it filled up with Blues still queuing outside they eventually opened the segregation pen but couldn't give us the whole end as they'd already let home fans into the remaining section.

We still took 40,000 to York though

Back then you could get ‘the special’ from Piccadilly and usually just turn up and buy a ticket on the day. That’s what I did that Saturday but the train station was mobbed by blues and the train was completely full

Loads of city fans getting together and hiring vans and mini buses. I was offered a place in a mini bus but they looked like a right bunch of loons so being a kid I politely declined and went home !!

adidas_1982_83_west_ham-match_worn_home_shirt.jpg

I like the Hammers too although struggling to put my finger on why. Probably because they've been struggling for a long time and it reminds you of us in days gone by.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.