Aguero's penalty

Re: Agueros penalty

MaineRoadBlue said:
SkyBlueUSA said:
It will go down as an OG under the rules. As much of the fuss that Hart gets, Howard had an awful game. Btw I think Yaya should be taking PK's. Dzeko has missed his last couple of PK's, and Aguero sold his too easily today.

Not a chance. The best penalty kick taker we have left at City after Mario's departure would be Milner followed by Kolorov.

Maybe even Negredo or Navas could be considered but never again can Dzeko, Silva or Aguero be trusted.

Yes Aguero's penalty may have eventually found the net, however only by 2 flaws, the first being that it hit the post, the second being Howard clearly read his open approach and right footed take which meant it was going only to his left. In retrospect however, I suppose we should be glad Howard read it so easily or he wouldn't have been there to head it in!

Right before he Aguero took it, they showed a graphic on TV of his last 5 penalties; One was top left (looking at the goal) which no goalie's going to save, and of the other 4, 3 were bottom right (exactly where he hit it). If I was a goalie, I'd certainly be aware of this kind of data for the likely penalty takers on the other team, so I assume a lot of the pro-goalies are also, in which case I'd have done exactly what Howard did - guess bottom right and dive early. Maybe Aguero should start practicing his Panenka!

eddiemarin09 said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
It was a bit lucky but personally I couldn't give a shit who gets credited with them as long as we score.
But if I had aguero in fantasy I would be pretty upset

Presumably he got the assist though, which is tough on anyone with Zaba on their team because I think he'd have got the assist otherwise!

Carver said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I'm With Stupid said:
Yep, if you have Aguero in your Fantasy Football team, you lost 2 points for the missed penalty too.

I remember this happening in a World Cup game once, and the goal going to Rooney (?) despite actually going in off the back of the goalkeeper.

The classic case was in the penalty shoot out between France and Brazil in the Mexico world cup of 1986. A French penalty taker, Bellone, did almost the same thing: his penalty hit the post (the 'keeper was nowhere near it) but the ball rebounded on to the 'keeper's head and into the net. The referee awarded the score and France won the shoot out. But FIFA ruled that in future the ball had to go into the net without contact with any other player after hitting the wood work to cont as a penalty score. So poor old Tim scored an o.g.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhvqIjgQ04[/youtube]

No, they backed the referee up and made the rule less ambiguous:

The Scottish FA, as a member of the IFAB asked for clarification. At the time the rule stated:
"The game shall terminate immediately the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper, the cross-bar or the goal-post".

You could argue both ways saying that once it hit the post the ball was dead. (then what of a ball that hits the post and goes in, that should be dead too). You could also say that a rebound covers when the ball comes out and away from the goal (But what about a ball that then goes on to spin back?)

Listen to Motty & Jimmy Chin's debate, both have valid points. 4 min in, Bruno Bellone penalty. You might also enjoy Michel Platinis ;-)

The rule was changed to:
"When a penalty kick is being taken during the normal course of play, or when time has been extended at half-time or full-time to allow a penalty-kick to be taken or retaken, a goal shall not be nullified if, before passing between the posts and under the cross-bar, the ball touches either or both of the goalposts, or the cross-bar, or the goalkeeper, or any combination of these agencies, providing that no other infringement has occurred."

The rule was changed again in the 97-98 season to reflect the spirit of the game to:
"No matter how many combinations of goalpost, crossbar, goalkeeper's body parts etc. are involved, if the ball ends up in the goal because of the energy imparted onto it by the kicker's boot, a goal should be allowed."

So this now reinforces that the penalty is not over until the ball is not going to cross the line. However, don't forget, the penalty is over when the referee says so.

As for credit for Aguero/ O.g. initially I thought o.g. but now I'm not so sure because deflections off the goalkeeper may not count.

I had no idea that it had all got so technical as a result! Another incident I remember concerning penalties took place at WHL, some time in the late 50s. City had the lead as Spurs pressed for the equaliser, and right at the end of the first half they got a penalty. The ref was seen to be having rather a long chat with Bert Trautman and Jones the penalty kicker. In the end Jones ran in and placed his kick at fair pace just inside the post but not well enough to beat Bert's full length dive. Bert saved the kick but Jones followed up to smash the rebound home. When the Spurs crowd stopped cheering and waving their scarves and rattles (!) they found that the "goal" had not been allowed - the ref's chat with the players concerned had been to explain that there was only time left to take the penalty kick and that the half would end as soon as the ball went in or did not. Fat lot of good it did us - we still lost 5-1!

BandwagonJumper said:
It's because the ball was saved onto the post, then came back out and hit Howard. Unfortunayely has to go down as an own goal, because it wouldn't have gone in if it hadnt hit Howard again.

Yep , that's about it ....

wasn't a particuarly good penalty from Aguero , in my eyes ..... was very fortunate for us , and him , that it turned out the way it did.

What do you make of this one then?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-4vyrtWd8[/youtube]

moon said:
This is how a keeper should score an own goal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAr801DTanI[/youtube]
I'd forgotten about John Bond's mauling of the fans after that Barnsley game. That was why he got such dog's abuse before the Bradford promotion clincher the following month when he was interviewed in front of the City fans.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Carver said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
The classic case was in the penalty shoot out between France and Brazil in the Mexico world cup of 1986. A French penalty taker, Bellone, did almost the same thing: his penalty hit the post (the 'keeper was nowhere near it) but the ball rebounded on to the 'keeper's head and into the net. The referee awarded the score and France won the shoot out. But FIFA ruled that in future the ball had to go into the net without contact with any other player after hitting the wood work to cont as a penalty score. So poor old Tim scored an o.g.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhvqIjgQ04[/youtube]

No, they backed the referee up and made the rule less ambiguous:

The Scottish FA, as a member of the IFAB asked for clarification. At the time the rule stated:
"The game shall terminate immediately the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper, the cross-bar or the goal-post".

You could argue both ways saying that once it hit the post the ball was dead. (then what of a ball that hits the post and goes in, that should be dead too). You could also say that a rebound covers when the ball comes out and away from the goal (But what about a ball that then goes on to spin back?)

Listen to Motty & Jimmy Chin's debate, both have valid points. 4 min in, Bruno Bellone penalty. You might also enjoy Michel Platinis ;-)

The rule was changed to:
"When a penalty kick is being taken during the normal course of play, or when time has been extended at half-time or full-time to allow a penalty-kick to be taken or retaken, a goal shall not be nullified if, before passing between the posts and under the cross-bar, the ball touches either or both of the goalposts, or the cross-bar, or the goalkeeper, or any combination of these agencies, providing that no other infringement has occurred."

The rule was changed again in the 97-98 season to reflect the spirit of the game to:
"No matter how many combinations of goalpost, crossbar, goalkeeper's body parts etc. are involved, if the ball ends up in the goal because of the energy imparted onto it by the kicker's boot, a goal should be allowed."

So this now reinforces that the penalty is not over until the ball is not going to cross the line. However, don't forget, the penalty is over when the referee says so.

As for credit for Aguero/ O.g. initially I thought o.g. but now I'm not so sure because deflections off the goalkeeper may not count.

I had no idea that it had all got so technical as a result! Another incident I remember concerning penalties took place at WHL, some time in the late 50s. City had the lead as Spurs pressed for the equaliser, and right at the end of the first half they got a penalty. The ref was seen to be having rather a long chat with Bert Trautman and Jones the penalty kicker. In the end Jones ran in and placed his kick at fair pace just inside the post but not well enough to beat Bert's full length dive. Bert saved the kick but Jones followed up to smash the rebound home. When the Spurs crowd stopped cheering and waving their scarves and rattles (!) they found that the "goal" had not been allowed - the ref's chat with the players concerned had been to explain that there was only time left to take the penalty kick and that the half would end as soon as the ball went in or did not. Fat lot of good it did us - we still lost 5-1!
Funny how time can change perception, I thought in that match Spuds were on a record number of wins at the beginning of a season. Bert saved the penalty and we held on for the draw. Perhaps in my mind I prefer that scenario, City the perennial underdogs stopping the top team in that era from thrashing them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.