Alan Harper

Given as he signed Heath and Clarke I think I will give him a pass with Harper. He wasn't great, but he was able to do a role for the team in the same way Megson did(although not a Kendell signing?and believe me when I say that no one was more gutted than me when we offloaded Ian Bishop to head down the route Kendell took. Although in fairness as a City supporter since the late 70s before the current era Kendell was the best and most professional manager we had, I think given his later fall people tend to underestimate his standing before leaving.
I really did think that we were going places under Kendall.

After the initial five at the back to stabilise us in his first season, we started playing some good football - apart from Sheffield Blades away - and getting good results in the three or four months before he fucked off back to Goodison.

I was absolutely gutted when he went.

I really did think that we were going places under Kendall.

After the initial five at the back to stabilise us in his first season, we started playing some good football - apart from Sheffield Blades away - and getting good results in the three or four months before he fucked off back to Goodison.

I was absolutely gutted when he went.
I agree I often wonder what would have happened both for him and the club if he hadn't gone back, I remember the night the news broke that Everton had found a new manager I didn't even think for a second it would be him, but anyway...

The other interesting thing even though I rate him perhaps third in the list of all managers I have seen at City as a supporter(from Book) behind Pep and Mancini, his signings seemed at best mediocre with the exception being Niall Quinn and perhaps Peter Reid as a player the rest seemed largely quite dull and unadventurous, but as you say we played some really good football with that side(the two away games against Villa spring to mind beating them when they had been top and 5-1 the following year shortly after Kendell had left I believe).

I agree I often wonder what would have happened both for him and the club if he hadn't gone back, I remember the night the news broke that Everton had found a new manager I didn't even think for a second it would be him, but anyway...

The other interesting thing even though I rate him perhaps third in the list of all managers I have seen at City as a supporter(from Book) behind Pep and Mancini, his signings seemed at best mediocre with the exception being Niall Quinn and perhaps Peter Reid as a player the rest seemed largely quite dull and unadventurous, but as you say we played some really good football with that side(the two away games against Villa spring to mind beating them when they had been top and 5-1 the following year shortly after Kendell had left I believe).
Don’t forget Tony Coton. Easily his best signing.

And I thought Dissa Pointon did well for us, though I was very disappointed that Andy Hinchcliffe - he was my favourite player at the time - was sacrificed for him, though the transfer fee did help us to buy TC.

That’s exactly why it is what it is. My first trip to the swamp, stood in the scoreboard end. If there hadn’t been a net his shot would have hit me in the face. From the moment it left his foot it was headed straight at me...and it felt like time slowed down waiting to see if Leighton would stop it. Very few celebrations have matched that one.
Absolute bedlam ! I can still see it now rocketing towards me. Saw him many years ago at Wembley, I was in a bit of a state and I just went and hugged him and he couldn’t have been nicer to this drunken fool invading his space - top bloke.

Who was worse? Harper, Megson or Heath?

Also that’s the worst shag, marry, kill imaginable...
Harper for sure. Although they were all pretty awful, that time Megson took a ball to the face and was greeted with a cheer still makes me laugh.

This Super Blue does. He was wank. Great shot v Nott County in the FA Cup that hit the woodwork. Only slightly non-dull thing I ever recall him doing in a City shirt.
He missed a pen when Ward who had scored something like 8 penalties was on the pitch but Reid gave it to Harper to miss, wanker.

It was like Everton reserves at City for a spell.

edit late on the scene as per lol

I vaguely remember him having a good game on his debut.

That was it.

Didn't he play sweeper when we played at Everton?
Pretty sure it was on ITV too.
I think he did play sweeper in a back 5 when he first joined. He looked good in that role and we stopped leaking like a sieve. Think Everton away was he debut and we drew iirc.
He later moved to left back in a back four and did pretty well. Hinchcliffed who had been out injured could not get back in.
I think Harper was quite well liked by fans until the following season when he partnered Megson in central midfield - neither did very well and we lacked any creativity and goal threat.
He was probably the best of the Everton old boys signed by Kendall - certainly better than Clarke and Heath - Pointon did ok at left back despite be a curly haired, moustachioed scouse caricature.

I could not remember what happened to him but Wikipedia tells me that Kendall resigned him for Everton after buggering off - we actually made a profit on his transfer!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.