Alan Harper

I remember his debut for City at Goodison Park when he seemed to play as a sweeper behind the sweeper in a dreadfully negative goalless draw and I'm fairly certain that unlike Reid, Heath, and Pointon, (who had all contributed to some of Everton's previous league championship success), Harper had been fairly shite in the first place, and was actually transferred from Sheffield Wednesday.

My only other memory is that he'd scored in an FA Cup Semi Final (possibly for Everton v Wednesday) and in those days we were desperate for any type of lucky omen.

I remember his debut for City at Goodison Park when he seemed to play as a sweeper behind the sweeper in a dreadfully negative goalless draw and I'm fairly certain that unlike Reid, Heath, and Pointon, (who had all contributed to some of Everton's previous league championship success), Harper had been fairly shite in the first place, and was actually transferred from Sheffield Wednesday.

My only other memory is that he'd scored in an FA Cup Semi Final (possibly for Everton v Wednesday) and in those days we were desperate for any type of lucky omen.
I liked Harper and the role of sweeper he often played for City.

I'd never seen anyone play sweeper before for City( too young for Nicky Reid v borrussia Munchengladbach in europe) and was really excited to see us play this system. The match at Everton under Kendal. Was dull as dishwasher but...we were bottom of the league at the time and playing Everton at home who I think we're reigning Champions..

That point gained started a remarkable run of form which took us off the bottom of the league and gave us confidence,leading to our first away win in 5 years in the Top division at Villa Park a few weeks later..Villa were top of the league ,title favourites,..we won 2-1 with a gritty committed performance roared on by a huge vociferous away following

If Kendall hadn't taken over when he did City were going down,our away performances were absolutely crap before then, no back bone,no leadership and a team of young inexperienced players under Mel Machin

It's easy to judge the Kendall days in a bad light now...but at the time bringing in seasoned pros was just what we needed...I loved the fact that City became hard to beat and players like Harper Reid Ward and Quinn never shirked a tackle,stuck to the game plan and showed up away from home ,every time.
Thank God we didn't go down that season,Harper played his part,despite the ' ugly ' Football.

I liked Harper and the role of sweeper he often played for City.

I'd never seen anyone play sweeper before for City( too young for Nicky Reid v borrussia Munchengladbach in europe) and was really excited to see us play this system. The match at Everton under Kendal. Was dull as dishwasher but...we were bottom of the league at the time and playing Everton at home who I think we're reigning Champions..

That point gained started a remarkable run of form which took us off the bottom of the league and gave us confidence,leading to our first away win in 5 years in the Top division at Villa Park a few weeks later..Villa were top of the league ,title favourites,..we won 2-1 with a gritty committed performance roared on by a huge vociferous away following

If Kendall hadn't taken over when he did City were going down,our away performances were absolutely crap before then, no back bone,no leadership and a team of young inexperienced players under Mel Machin

It's easy to judge the Kendall days in a bad light now...but at the time bringing in seasoned pros was just what we needed...I loved the fact that City became hard to beat and players like Harper Reid Ward and Quinn never shirked a tackle,stuck to the game plan and showed up away from home ,every time.
Thank God we didn't go down that season,Harper played his part,despite the ' ugly ' Football.
Yeah I agree with all that.

In fact I'm in a very small minority who actually preferred Mark Ward to Ian Bishop, for the exact reasons that you've just stated.
Suddenly City had attitude and were difficult to beat, and coupled with the unfortunate injury to Paul Lake, if Kendall had stayed, then undoubtedly the next few seasons would have been completely different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.