Albums with no bad tracks

MCFC BOB said:
gaudinho's stolen car said:
Starting at the top I like "Whatever People Say...", but Back Door Slam's cover of Outside Woman Blues fails. I can't be arsed going through them all, and I haven't heard every track on every album, but if you were asked the same question next week you would probably have 37 different choices. Not that this is a pop at you, it's just that I hate it when someone asks for something pretty definitive and the answer invariably is a list of the poster favourite bands/films/famous birds.
I liked Back Door Slam's album, and I was listening to Outside Woman Blues on the train before.

But if I was asked this question next week, I probably wouldn't have different answers. I've pulled these albums together in this list after making some kind of aggregate score based on what I think and how critically acclaimed they are.

These albums are on my iTunes, but these albums aren't all by my favourite band.

If you had to name just one, that takes you somewhere special with each track, what would it be? And how much more do you like it than all the others?

MCFC BOB said:
I liked Back Door Slam's album, and I was listening to Outside Woman Blues on the train before.

But if I was asked this question next week, I probably wouldn't have different answers. I've pulled these albums together in this list after making some kind of aggregate score based on what I think and how critically acclaimed they are.

These albums are on my iTunes, but these albums aren't all by my favourite band.

If you had to name just one, that takes you somewhere special with each track, what would it be? And how much more do you like it than all the others?
Either 'Music Has the Right to Children' by Boards of Canada, 'Tarot Sport' by Fuck Buttons, 'Crystal Castles (2010)' by Crystal Castles or 'Plastic Beach' by Gorillaz

The others in that rather large list are all albums that are rated, in my head, at 9.9/10 or 10/10, but if it's possible, the ones mentioned just above are 11/10, for innovation, technique, influence, beauty, consistency, power, emotion, musicianship, brilliance, the memories that they would generate if I listened to them right this second, the legacy I think they will have, and how much I'll listen to them in the future.

Actually, taking everything into account: 'Crystal Castles (2010)' wins it.

masterwig said:
I'm not having Morning Glory as one of these albums.

Hey Now is rubbish. It's far too long. As much as I like that album I nearly always fast-forward that track.

fantastic song, great intro and beat through out - lyrics are good and love the instrumental solo in the middle. miss the 90's :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J033PCUQho[/youtube]

MCFC BOB said:
Either 'Music Has the Right to Children' by Boards of Canada, 'Tarot Sport' by Fuck Buttons, 'Crystal Castles (2010)' by Crystal Castles or 'Plastic Beach' by Gorillaz

The others in that rather large list are all albums that are rated, in my head, at 9.9/10 or 10/10, but if it's possible, the ones mentioned just above are 11/10, for innovation, technique, influence, beauty, consistency, power, emotion, musicianship, brilliance, the memories that they would generate if I listened to them right this second, the legacy I think they will have, and how much I'll listen to them in the future.

Top choices. But other than the BoC album, why do you think the others in your shortlist are almost brand new? I know you aren't old, but you know your musical history, so where's the depth?

MCFC BOB said:

Top choices. But other than the BoC album, why do you think the others in your shortlist are almost brand new? I know you aren't old, but you know your musical history, so where's the depth?
Do you mean, why do albums that were only released last year appear in my favourite albums of all time?

Just posted an Elbow thread
Elbow - seldom seen kid, leaders of the free world
Oasis - morning glory
Libertines - Up the bracket
Beatles - Sgt pepper, help
Dylan - anything pre 70s

MCFC BOB said:
Do you mean, why do albums that were only released last year appear in my favourite albums of all time?

No, I mean why do the albums you have chosen almost exclusively come from the last few years?

MCFC BOB said:

No, I mean why do the albums you have chosen almost exclusively come from the last few years?
Well, that was all down to personal opinion. It's nothing to do with when they were released really - just when I listened to them, and what I thought. I listened to 'Crystal Castles (2010)', 'Tarot Sport' and 'Plastic Beach' non-stop between April - August 2010, which were probably the happiest few months of my life so far.

Crystal Castles are brilliant for me. They may sound like incomprehensible drivel to others, but I felt a connection so strong and so immediate when I listened to their second album all the way through, that completely crushed the connection I felt when I listened to their first album, and any other album in my initial list. 'Celestica' overtook 'Say (All I Need)' by OneRepublic as my most favourite song of all time (after 'Say' had been there for over three years) and I knew that this band was beyond special.

For 'Tarot Sport': its best quality is that it doesn't work or feel the same if you play one track from it without the others preceeding and follwing it. True story: I went on a four hour drive from Stockport to Glasgow with my dad to pick up my girlfriend in April 2010, and I put 'Tarot Sport' in on the car's CD player as we left Bolton. We arrived in a Hamilton service station, and my dad final realised that it had played through around 3 times since we'd left Bolton. It takes you on a magical journey through electro's finest hours.

'Plastic Beach' is a fantastic shockwave through pop-music, and it comes out at the other side with rock, electro and hip-hop influences that really should be followed as the perfect example of how to make an album. Once again, it is an album that reminds me of the happiest summer of my life. Superb album.

NasIllmatic.jpg

Just an amazing album...

3 dj premier produced tracks, Pete rock and a Q-Tip produced track (one love)
and Large Professor produces a few aswell....

Illmatic for me is perfection.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.