Alex Grimaldo

Lazio and Shakhtar Donetsk suddenly have more competition for Benfica full-back Alex Grimaldo, as Manchester City joined the fray.

O Jogo had reported that Maurizio Sarri and Roberto De Zerbi were both targeting the Spanish left-back, who turns 26 in September.

Neither of them were prepared to meet the asking price of at least €20m.

However, now Portuguese transfer expert Pedro Almeida claims that Manchester City have dived in and begun negotiations with Benfica.

This has also prompted the club to raise their demands to €30m, hoping once the Premier League champions are involved, they can command more for his fee.

Last season, Grimaldo contributed two goals and an impressive 10 assists in his 43 competitive matches for Benfica.

He started out in the Valencia and Barcelona youth academies before moving to Lisbon in January 2016.

His main position is left-back, but Grimaldo can also play in a more advanced left wide midfield role, or even in a central slot.

I don't make out I'm an expert on European left backs, but given our left backs are Mendy and Zinchenko, I hope we sign a new one.

Firstly, Mendy is finished. He will never get back to the player he was. We need to move the guy on to a level where he can play. I don't dislike him as such, but he is finished, it's as simple as that. He's not up to the level we play at.

I really like Zinchenko and he will do a good job for most games. Apart from the top class teams, where he is found out. Sure, he will play well sometimes but the opposition know he lacks pace, strength, aerial ability and some positional sense when we're under the cosh. I really like him though and hope he stays but against the best, he's a worry.

Cancelo is far too hot and cold for me in either full back spot. I'd not miss him if he left. He can be world class and rank within a week. We just need guys who don't let you down.

I don't know if Grimaldo is the answer, but I'm hopeful the club are looking at bringing in someone who can hold his own in that position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.