Alex Sandro interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolorov gets far too much criticism for me as it is and I'd prefer we keep him to be honest so not too excited about the links with Alex Sandro. I think we've seen that there's a big jump in quality from the Portuguese league when players come over to England and I'd agree that I don't see him as an improvement on what we've got.

I'm in that minority with you pal

I don't think Kolarov is without criticism, his positioning is often poor and he doesn't always show enough commitment to get back into position after marauding up the pitch. He's still a very capable full back and one that provides a lot going forward for us. We need a better player at left back if we want to be confident in dealing with the best players in the CL, but they'll suffice to win the league as they've shown a couple of times before!

Sandro is a no from me.

Kolorov played really well on Monday, hopefully gets a good run in the team. With Angelino coming back over the next few month I don't think we necessarily need another LB. Would like to see him get a chance. Not a massive fan of clichy though
I am not a big Kolarov fan but there's no doubt he did well on Monday and responds well to a run of games. Not a player though that can be rotated as it takes him too long to get back to his best.

In an ideal world we would get a new left back. The trouble is that Clichy is homegrown and Kolarov is a good attacking threat so it's very difficult to identify which one to replace.

Either way, Sandro would be no better than Kolarov. He impresses against teams in Portugal but he'd get found out time and time again in England. Kolarov and Clichy are both impressive enough against the majority of English sides, I don't think Sandro is better than either of them at the moment.

Better options out there.
Are you basing this on anything, or just making stuff up? As Alex Sandro has been outstanding in the Champions League, while both Kolarov and Clichy have been pretty dreadful. Alex Sandro is a big step up defensively on both of them, hugely on Kolarov, who is absolutely shocking defensively. He's great for games like Monday, where he at no point has to really do any defending, but as soon as anyone actually attacks down his side we are in trouble.

Alex Sandro isn't as good offensively as Kolarov, but far better defensively than either of our 2. Would be an ideal Clichy replacement.

It's a massive yes from me.

Don't see him as an upgrade on either of our left backs. For all the shit Kolarov gets on here we'd miss him considerably against the teams in the lower half of the table that are difficult to break down. Also, we've had Spanish Dave playing left midfield for the past few seasons and as much as i absolutely love him, he offers virtually nothing defensively, especially compared to the protection the right back got from Milner or Navas. We need an upgrade in that position eventually, it is one of our weaker areas but it's nowhere near as bad as most on here suggest. Right now i don't see a significant one available and i suspect that's why we seem more than happy to stick with what we've got for now.

Performance against Bayern last year (1st leg) was one of the most impressive full-back performances I saw last year. Quick look at CL stats and he averaged more tackles, interceptions and key passes per game than either of our left-backs in the competition.

Are you basing this on anything, or just making stuff up? As Alex Sandro has been outstanding in the Champions League, while both Kolarov and Clichy have been pretty dreadful. Alex Sandro is a big step up defensively on both of them, hugely on Kolarov, who is absolutely shocking defensively. He's great for games like Monday, where he at no point has to really do any defending, but as soon as anyone actually attacks down his side we are in trouble.

I've completely made it up.

He played very well in the win over Bayern at home. As did the entire Porto side, who got their tactics spot on. I've seen Clichy and Kolarov be excellent in big games before, if I was to base it on that one game I'd be very keen to sign him. But I've seen him in others where he's made mistakes and looked incomplete defensively. Their CL group was piss poor. BATE, Athletic Bilbao and Shakhtar.

Fortunately it looks like we're not interested in Sandro and that's the right call at this stage.

He might go on to prove me wrong and find consistency, but with Sterling occupying the left and the potential for us to field two holding midfielders once Fernando and Delph are fit, I think Clichy and Kolarov will get enough support defensively anyway. I'd rather we bought someone who's shown equal promise, at a younger age, or someone who performs well week in week out but is older.

Don't see him as an upgrade on either of our left backs. For all the shit Kolarov gets on here we'd miss him considerably against the teams in the lower half of the table that are difficult to break down. Also, we've had Spanish Dave playing left midfield for the past few seasons and as much as i absolutely love him, he offers virtually nothing defensively, especially compared to the protection the right back got from Milner or Navas. We need an upgrade in that position eventually, it is one of our weaker areas but it's nowhere near as bad as most on here suggest. Right now i don't see a significant one available and i suspect that's why we seem more than happy to stick with what we've got for now.
Okay, but what does Clichy offer? He can't attack, he can't defend.

One of the poorest players at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.