Alex Williams MBE – Announces retirement (p4)

One of the handful of ex-players I've met.

On a professional basis when he was with the community scheme at City, we chatted City stuff, did my review and he organised one of the staff to give me a tour of Maine Road.....he said the the young pro to show me round and let me go wherever I wanted not just the normal bits they show people.

Met in a few years later at the golf in Rochdale too, sadly never managed to arrange a round with him due to timings.

It was a shame that injuries probably prevented him from reaching his full potential. Those 2 seasons in the our first spell in the old 2nd Division he looked a really promising keeper.
Once at Maine Road once I met him and told him my favourite game of his was a victory at Stamford Bridge one year.
Chelsea battered us, he stopped everything they threw at us, and we scored with our only attack (a brilliant Jim Tolmie freekick).
He seemed generally flattered that I mentioned that game.
That day I also remember he got some terrible racist abuse from the home fans(who were known for having a National Front contingent amongst them at that time).

Some the of the stories he shared, mainly off camera were simply remarkable

As someone says above, he really is a credit to the club. I remember reading a profile of him in one of the papers in the eighties that recorded some of the abuse he had to put up with, which was quite incredible. He was always so dignified in response, a characteristic he retained when I met him long after his playing days were over.

I recall that, at one game, he apparently had a burning cross thrown into his penalty area from the crowd behind the goal. I think it was at Elland Road, but I might have that detail wrong. It was certainly one of the grounds he cited where the abuse was particularly bad, though.

Had the pleasure to live very close to Alex and meet and speak to him often, always a pleasure.

A blue and a gentleman of the highest order.

I am no fan of the UK Honors system but in the case of Mr Alex Williams the MBE he was given was 100% earned and justified, he was given so much to the game and the Manchester community.

A really gentle person. And wow, a black guy, playing in goals in the early 80s. Incredible strength of character. An amazing man.
The abuse that man took was frightening, remember going to watch us at Elland Rd, the Yodder bastards must have bought every banana in Yorkshire and threw them at Alex that day, the guy never reacted, as you said, incredibly strong character.

A wonderful man.

The abuse that man took was frightening, remember going to watch us at Elland Rd, the Yodder bastards must have bought every banana in Yorkshire and threw them at Alex that day, the guy never reacted, as you said, incredibly strong character.

A wonderful man.
A quite harrowing tale that Alex obviously recalls well !! He remembers running towards his goalmouth at the start and all seemed calmed and quiet, to his relief so he proceeds to applaud the Leeds supporters behind the goal who then bombarded him with bananas, the start was halted while they cleared them up as was that many.

A much better story is from West Ham away with Alex saving a penalty from Ray Stewart, who used simply blast his pens home and think this was the only one he ever missed. We were hammered, pardon the pun, that afternoon 4-1 but Alex received a standing ovation from the West Ham locals for his display as he left the field, not something that happened to often at Upton Park during the early 80's I'm sure.

One of Alex's best games was that 2-1 win at Spurs in '82, (video is below) the game where Graham Baker scored that "scoop" goal, Alex pulled off a string of saves.

Another match where he was subject to disgusting abuse was when he came out for the 2nd half at Pompey in the promotion clash in '85. He went to the Fratton End and a shower of bananas and a few coconuts were thrown into the goalmouth. Neil McNab picked up a banana, threw it back into the crowd and a copper had a word with him after doing fuck all about the stuff being thrown on. Alex was remarkably calm about it all. Great servant to the club on and off the pitch and a smashing bloke to talk to, as others have said.

One of Alex's best games was that 2-1 win at Spurs in '82, (video is below) the game where Graham Baker scored that "scoop" goal, Alex pulled off a string of saves.

Another match where he was subject to disgusting abuse was when he came out for the 2nd half at Pompey in the promotion clash in '85. He went to the Fratton End and a shower of bananas and a few coconuts were thrown into the goalmouth. Neil McNab picked up a banana, threw it back into the crowd and a copper had a word with him after doing fuck all about the stuff being thrown on. Alex was remarkably calm about it all. Great servant to the club on and off the pitch and a smashing bloke to talk to, as others have said.

He mentions this in the video as his best City performance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.