Alex Williams MBE – Announces retirement (p4)

One of the handful of ex-players I've met.

On a professional basis when he was with the community scheme at City, we chatted City stuff, did my review and he organised one of the staff to give me a tour of Maine Road.....he said the the young pro to show me round and let me go wherever I wanted not just the normal bits they show people.

Met in a few years later at the golf in Rochdale too, sadly never managed to arrange a round with him due to timings.
Losing 4-1 to Chelsea in the full.members Cup final we headed out, bumped into Alex who said to us " don't blame you leaving early but as you.know anything can happen with us " never left a game early since that day

Spoke to Alex outside the Baseball Ground circa 1991. Really nice guy and seemed genuinely humbled and surprised when I told him that I thought his performance at Spurs in 1982 was one of the best I'd seen from a City keeper. Top bloke and may his great work in the Community and at City continue for many years to come

One of Alex's best games was that 2-1 win at Spurs in '82, (video is below) the game where Graham Baker scored that "scoop" goal, Alex pulled off a string of saves.

Another match where he was subject to disgusting abuse was when he came out for the 2nd half at Pompey in the promotion clash in '85. He went to the Fratton End and a shower of bananas and a few coconuts were thrown into the goalmouth. Neil McNab picked up a banana, threw it back into the crowd and a copper had a word with him after doing fuck all about the stuff being thrown on. Alex was remarkably calm about it all. Great servant to the club on and off the pitch and a smashing bloke to talk to, as others have said.

I've just mentioned this !! Thank you very much for posting the video

A quite harrowing tale that Alex obviously recalls well !! He remembers running towards his goalmouth at the start and all seemed calmed and quiet, to his relief so he proceeds to applaud the Leeds supporters behind the goal who then bombarded him with bananas, the start was halted while they cleared them up as was that many.

A much better story is from West Ham away with Alex saving a penalty from Ray Stewart, who used simply blast his pens home and think this was the only one he ever missed. We were hammered, pardon the pun, that afternoon 4-1 but Alex received a standing ovation from the West Ham locals for his display as he left the field, not something that happened to often at Upton Park during the early 80's I'm sure.
I was going to comment on the West Ham game - his best performance in my view.
The penalty save was at our end (well we were in the corner) and the Hammers fans were Zeig hailing him at every opportunity.
The penalty save shut the fuckers up.
2nd half both Kevin Bond and Asa Hartford were sent off and the game became target practice for West Ham.
Alex was outstanding and like you said, the standing ovation at the end to begin with was for the home side, but as Alex walked towards the tunnel and to our amazement, the main stand to a man (and women) applauded him off the field.

It was a shame that injuries probably prevented him from reaching his full potential. Those 2 seasons in the our first spell in the old 2nd Division he looked a really promising keeper.
Once at Maine Road once I met him and told him my favourite game of his was a victory at Stamford Bridge one year.
Chelsea battered us, he stopped everything they threw at us, and we scored with our only attack (a brilliant Jim Tolmie freekick).
He seemed generally flattered that I mentioned that game.
That day I also remember he got some terrible racist abuse from the home fans(who were known for having a National Front contingent amongst them at that time).
I remember that game as I was stood behind a copper in the Shed having to listen to all that shit

Been at a few supporters club meetings with Alex as a guest and he told the tale about his time on loan at Queen of the South as he came back from injury.
He said it was really funny up in Scotland because the other teams fans never gave him shit for the colour of his skin - they just gave him shit for being English!

Been at a few supporters club meetings with Alex as a guest and he told the tale about his time on loan at Queen of the South as he came back from injury.
He said it was really funny up in Scotland because the other teams fans never gave him shit for the colour of his skin - they just gave him shit for being English!
They way he tells the story’s are testament to the man he is

I still remember his debut, the apprehension in the crowd was almost tangible, so long we’d had Joe to rely on and suddenly, Alex is thrown in !

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, the support that Alex received that day, and that feeling of everyone wanting him to do well was one of my proudest moments as a Blue, literally everybody was rooting for him so much, don’t think I’ve seen that level before or since !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.