Alex Williams MBE – Announces retirement (p4)

Club has to do something to commemorate such a stalwart. Would have met him outside Maine Road very early 90s, probably pre Premier League and likely as he was starting out his superb community work and he was a gent to 2 kids who didn't know him from Adam.
Lifetime president of CITC or some recognition from the Council would be fitting for his service to the City. A top Manc and a great fella.

I had the pleasure to meet him with my dad in Joe's Bar at the Liverpool game last weekend. His hands are fucking massive!

I'm 38 and for me he is one of the Keepers who I will always be spoken about!

Trautman - Corrigan - WILLIAMS - Weaver - Hart - Ederson!

Special mention to Simon Tracey!
Big Frank Swift?

Alex was a couple of years behind me at school so I didn't get to know him then. I'm fortunate to see him fairly regularly as he's President of our supporters club and, considering it's not exactly round the corner from where he lives, he's very supportive of us. He's a top bloke and I wish him well in his retirement.

Around 1991 He interviewed me for a coaching job with City in the community. I was a 18/19 year old kid who was in awe of one of my heroes. He soon put me at ease. I'd told a fib on the application form that I had a coaching certificate but when he found out,rather than be mad, he was searching his brain how he could help me. We'd talked about City for ages at that point so he knew I was a massive blue and he really wanted to help me. Anyway, i got a call at about 5.30 that evening and it was Alex saying I'd not got the job, but if I was to get my badge then he'd consider me on next position. Me being me just left it and did other things.(I did get my badge a few years later but only for the crack) Anyway, fast forward to 2002 and I was getting on a train from Stockport to Timperley and he was on the platform waiting for his train. I went up and said alright Alex and shook his hand and to my astonishment, he remembered me. One of the loveliest football people I've ever met. Happy and long retirement Alex. You deserve it!

What a wonderful ambassador he is for City. When I was Chair of Governors at a local Primary school we had a Sportsperson’s ‘Dinner’ with the youngsters who’d been involved in all our sports and their parents. I managed to get a representative City person each year, Paul Lake, Ian Cheeseman and the last one was Alex. (No indoctrination involved!) ;-)

What a Superstar he was. He talked to the children and their parents and, as the main speaker was ill I asked him would he do the speech. Without hesitation he agreed and he was great. The kids loved him, the parents did as well and he went out on the playground afterwards and had selfies with them and just generally joined in the fun.
A true Ambassador as I say and I didn’t need the indoctrination he just oozed City. :-)

The kids loved his car as well! So did I but don’t ask me what it was, it was just elegant and sporty! :-)

He even took the fact that he couldn’t get admitted to the school car park and grounds in his stride as well. The person monitoring the gates had been called away and so, after ringing the buzzer he just phoned me to let me know! That scared me at first as I’d just heard about the main speaker and thought oh nooo he’s not coming! :-) But he didn’t let us down.

A long, happy and healthy retirement Alex you deserve it. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.