Alexander Kolarov

Good crosser, shaky defensively when up against the best. Short of pace. Not great in the air.

He'll do as a second choice but I'd pick Clichy ahead of him in a heartbeat for every game, unless Clichy needs a rest.

Sorry, but can't defend to save his life. He sits too far off the attacker who then invariably crosses or goes past him. Not good enough for the top of the league team

Love Kolarov, still not sure where this myth about defending comes from though. Was he not left back in the tightest defence in the league last year? Did he not pocket any United threat in the FA Cup semi?
Kolarov being a poor defender is another popular myth, as is the AJ never plays, Ya Ya is a defensive mid fielder and the now dispelled we are boring.

ErnieBilko said:
Sorry, but can't defend to save his life. He sits too far off the attacker who then invariably crosses or goes past him. Not good enough for the top of the league team

"can't defend to save his life???" Might not be the best in the world, but he clearly can defend. Teams haven't walked all over us when he's been at left back. We've beaten very good teams and held a clean sheet with him. I really dislike this kind of gross exaggeration when talking about a professional. I think he's a decent defender with good positional sense, very strong, good in the air, decent reactions, and that he'll continue to get better. He's excellent going forward. You can disagree that he's a good defender, but to say he can't defend to save his life is just ridiculous.

schfc6 said:
Love Kolarov, still not sure where this myth about defending comes from though. Was he not left back in the tightest defence in the league last year? Did he not pocket any United threat in the FA Cup semi?
Kolarov being a poor defender is another popular myth, as is the AJ never plays, Ya Ya is a defensive mid fielder and the now dispelled we are boring.

I agree with all your myths. The reason Kolorov is a poor defender, as I said above, is that he is short of pace.

ramsdale4 said:
He come in for a bit of stick wince he joined the club but I really think that since the arrival of Clichy, he's really upped his game. Defensively he's been sound and he's making the right decisions when he constantly rampaging down the left side now.

Hope he begins to get the praise he deserves from our fans now.

I frankly think this sentiment is bullshit. Kolarov had a serious injury in his first game in a new country in the toughest league in the world. He played well last year. Perhaps not as well as he is playing this year but as well if not better than should have been expected.

You simply can't judge a player until they have had time to settle with a new team. This is true for Mario, Kolarov, Milner, Dzeko and Boateng. All were slated mercilessly and all are showing their true class now.

This business about upping his game because Clichy is here now is a cheap way of avoiding the truth. Many many people got it dead wrong on a number of players last year.

I like the way he plays. I think we could be doing better to convert more of the crosses he puts in, seems to be firing in loads every game he plays now.

I like Kolarov, he's also looking much more dangerous on dead balls this season. He's very useful against continental teams who play a smart defensive game like Napoli and Villarreal, with his no messing about direct and dynamic style and thunderous shooting from distance.

I'd have no worries about him playing the big matches, as he did last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.