Alexei Navalny dead

As I said, Amnesty International reinstated his blue peter badge, why do you believe they did this?
You'd have to ask them. I don't know, and I don't know how heavily influenced they are in making their judgements. Personally, I don't take my lead from organisations like Amnesty International.

Facts:
Did Navalny call Muslims "cockroaches" who should be exterminated? Yes.

Did he compare immigrants to dental cavities? Yes.

Did he call for the expulsion of all non-white immigrants to central Asia? Yes.

Did he use homophobic slurs to describe gay people? Yes.

Getting a Blue Peter badge back is all well and good, but if he made such statements as an English politician then he would be hated by many on this forum. If not liking Putin means that all of these views should be overlooked then people do need to say so.

I think if some people actually knew about some of the beliefs held by Alexei Navalny then they may see it differently. Undoubtedly a brave man who didn't deserve to die so young, but merely opposing Putin doesn't make him an admirable political figure.

I am aware of his problematic positions on certain issues. That said, I think it’s important to distinguish between somebody with who I would have profound political and ethical disagreements, and somebody who is an actual genocidal tyrant.

People are complex and multifaceted and there’s no black and white in this world. You don’t need to agree with everything somebody has done in their lives to recognise that they have done something good. The enemy of your enemy doesn’t have to be your friend, but they can be an ally in achieving something for the greater good. Plus people change, their opinions aren’t fixed in time.

I always thought there was some similarities between Navalny and Mandela in a lot of ways. Both with histories of nationalism and populism, but evolved to symbolise a resistance against a greater evil. It seems often the answer to authoritatrian rule is a strongly united populist front so maybe it isn’t a surprise to see this pattern.

I am aware of his problematic positions on certain issues. That said, I think it’s important to distinguish between somebody with who I would have profound political and ethical disagreements, and somebody who is an actual genocidal tyrant.

People are complex and multifaceted and there’s no black and white in this world. You don’t need to agree with everything somebody has done in their lives to recognise that they have done something good. The enemy of your enemy doesn’t have to be your friend, but they can be an ally in achieving something for the greater good. Plus people change, their opinions aren’t fixed in time.

I always thought there was some similarities between Navalny and Mandela in a lot of ways. Both with histories of nationalism and populism, but evolved to symbolise a resistance against a greater evil. It seems often the answer to authoritatrian rule is a strongly united populist front so maybe it isn’t a surprise to see this pattern.
A very good and well-considered post. But I actually wonder what kind of Russia people think would have existed with Navalny in charge. I'm not sure that it would have been any less corrupt than now, nor do I think that evidence exists to show that Russia would have embarked upon a different foreign policy. These matters are all subjective. This does not excuse the sinister tyranny of the Putin regime, but it does point to the repeatedly misguided view that regime change automatically means improvements for all. This has not happened in Iraq, Libya and countless other countries.

These things are often more complex and nuanced than they are when portrayed in the media. The same discussion as now could be happening on the Newcastle United forum whilst they celebrate being owned by a man who had a direct hand in the dismemberment and acid bath-killing of a journalist. Morality is useful until it isn't.

What we can say though is that a man with views unpopular to many lost his life at a very young age whilst opposing the kleptocratic Russian government. May his soul rest in peace.

I think anyone who survived a Novichok attack and decided to return to face the tyrants that tried to poison him knew full well what would happen to him and the suffering his family would endure. Would anyone on here show such bravery?

Muslim extremists, not Muslims.
I think that's being generous. Navalny was well-known for his dislike of Muslims in the North Caucasus regions. Staff at Amnesty International were not unanimously pleased that he was given 'prisoner of conscience' status in 2021 for that very reason. One is even trying to sue the organisation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.