Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think PB explains it very well on his Twitter why we walked away from this:

Bottom line: we could splash 100+ m on a younger player that would get a lower wage than Sanchez and over 5 years have the same deal basically.

with alexis going elsewhere the only move that seems equally great for us is insigne in the summer. left winger, can play as a striker and false 9 what implies he can rotate with leroy and aguero/jesus (although it looks to me that aguero will leave and we will go for a world class striker [griezmann/dybala] which probably gonna cost over 100m)

Completely agree. Leaving money aside I really dont understand the logic and stance of the club here.

If the club and Pep identify a player that they want as they think he will improve us, then we should be going all out for that player. We need to act and think more like the other big clubs (Real, Barca, PSG etc). Instead we act like f**king Spurs when it comes to transfers, hangling over a few million.

If we're not prepared to pay the money for Sanchez, then he mustnt be the player we want, so why are we in for him then?

He's either the player we want, in which case we should just pay what it takes or he isnt, which begs the question why we're even in for him.

Exactly. As good as a team we have now on the field, our mentality is that of a small club. We need to shake off this small mentality and stop letting teams like Utd financially bully us in the market. Its time we started bullying and dictating the market ourselves just like PSG did this summer.

Fuck principles of the club, if the club wants aspirations of winning the champions league, its time we started taking some calculated risks.

We didn't pay the Alves wages so instead we ended up with a 26m shithouse in Danilo. Lessons need to be learned this summer and if Txixi keeps performing in the same manner, its time to really re-consider his position at the club.

Its disappointing really. Allowing a player of Alexis' quality to join our fiercest rivals isn't a good statement from us whatsoever. People will obviously see it differently to me, but the good thing about getting Alexis was, we could of had our attack sewn up for the next 3 seasons and could have literally splashed out big money on a centre back and a central midfielder in the summer giving ourselves plenty of time to evaluate our options. Now we have to weigh up getting a forward player as well as the other 2 positions and a quality player in that position will cost us 100m plus. If we are looking at players like Griezmann, Dybala and Kane for example, all 3 of these players will come to almost 150m a piece. If City can't get this Sanchez deal over the line for 30-40m, I just can't see Txixi and the board paying past the 100m mark for a striker/forward player whatsoever.

We will have shot ourselves in the foot in the long run in my opinion. If Txixi thinks paying almost 400k a week for Alexis is bonkers, wait until he goes in the market in the summer for other players in that position, he really is going to have a fright and a massive wake up call.
I think you're right about transfer fees and our fear of them, probably to do with the higher wages that come with them and the inevitable rise in overall wage bill. I thought as much in the summer re Sanchez. We would have rather done anything than pay above the club record. It's obvious we're gonna have to bite the bullet if we're to sign one of those players you mention.

Exactly. As good as a team we have now on the field, our mentality is that of a small club. We need to shake off this small mentality and stop letting teams like Utd financially bully us in the market. Its time we started bullying and dictating the market ourselves just like PSG did this summer.

Fuck principles of the club, if the club wants aspirations of winning the champions league, its time we started taking some calculated risks.

We didn't pay the Alves wages so instead we ended up with a 26m shithouse in Danilo. Lessons need to be learned this summer and if Txixi keeps performing in the same manner, its time to really re-consider his position at the club.
Absolute rubbish iheanacho 27mill jesus similar tixi has done eome shrewd deals and danillo has been a decent signing.

Last edited:
Its disappointing really. Allowing a player of Alexis' quality to join our fiercest rivals isn't a good statement from us whatsoever. People will obviously see it differently to me, but the good thing about getting Alexis was, we could of had our attack sewn up for the next 3 seasons and could have literally splashed out big money on a centre back and a central midfielder in the summer giving ourselves plenty of time to evaluate our options. Now we have to weigh up getting a forward player as well as the other 2 positions and a quality player in that position will cost us 100m plus. If we are looking at players like Griezmann, Dybala and Kane for example, all 3 of these players will come to almost 150m a piece. If City can't get this Sanchez deal over the line for 30-40m, I just can't see Txixi and the board paying past the 100m mark for a striker/forward player whatsoever.

We will have shot ourselves in the foot in the long run in my opinion. If Txixi thinks paying almost 400k a week for Alexis is bonkers, wait until he goes in the market in the summer for other players in that position, he really is going to have a fright and a massive wake up call.

Nail on head.

It might have seemed a lot for Sanchez but not that much of a difference compared to the younger big name strikers who will cost much, much more.

As you say, now we still need to fill a striker spot as well as the other places.

Nail on head.

It might have seemed a lot for Sanchez but not that much of a difference compared to the younger big name strikers who will cost much, much more.

As you say, now we still need to fill a striker spot as well as the other places.

Well i believe there are plans in place to fill gaps that are needed lets not forget we were happy to a point to take him on a free next summer whilst i think he would have made a great addition to the squad now i am more than confident we have targets lined up in the summer to justice us letting him go now.

I think PB explains it very well on his Twitter why we walked away from this:

Bottom line: we could splash 100+ m on a younger player that would get a lower wage than Sanchez and over 5 years have the same deal basically.

I'd question @Prestwich_Blue on that one, at the prices quoted it looked like £134m over 3.5 years to me, closer to £170m over 5. Anyway we're in agreement on the central point. Player we don't need and a millstone around our necks once his level drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.