"All City fans are from Stockport"

Although there are plenty of blues and reds all over Manchester and the surrounding towns, I've always thought City's support was concerntrated in the south and Utd's in the west.

Places like Stretford, Sale, Urmston etc feel like bandit country to me.

pinacolada said:
Although there are plenty of blues and reds all over Manchester and the surrounding towns, I've always thought City's support was concerntrated in the south and Utd's in the west.

Places like Stretford, Sale, Urmston etc feel like bandit country to me.

Traditionally that's pretty much right.

Up until probably the 90s you could look at the bus routes from Maine Road (and Ardwick/Gorton) and from Old Trafford and see where the core of each team's support lay.

Funnily enough, in Albert Alexander's book he talks of being able to ask someone's district in Manchester and know who they supported, back in the 50s.

Several factors have skewed this over the years including the slum clearence programs.

It was always City in the South and East and United in the North and West. Not exclusively but predominantly.

These days more kids all over the country support United, as the nature of football support changes and it becomes an "armchair" activity.

DirtyHarry said:
Tricky_Trev said:
To be fair, it's no different to us saying all rags come from London. It's just banter, surely? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Whilst what you say is fair enough Trev, what I would say is that I bet if you look at those peoples parents/Grand-parents from Stockport, most will have originally come from Manchester somewhere along the line and moved out and therefore at least gives a direct line to why they support City.

I wouldn`t pay any attention to that Post Code thing either, it`s flawed, when it was done I was shown with an SK postcode, my bro with a CH postcode, yet we were both born ( him MRI, me Withington) and raised( Ladybarn and Wythenshawe) in Manchester so it`s really not an accurate indication, not that it really matters though.

Lived in Bredbury Green for 25 years but born in Manchester - Moved there when all the houses in Gorton and Ardwick were being demolished

The rags have a point, we do have a big following in Stockport and its surrounding areas.
Bredbury for example has two big Manchester overspill council estates that moved people from Hulme, Ardwick and Moss Side in the 60's.
What were they supposed to do when they moved say..
"Right, that's it then, I'm in Stockport now, lets support County and not City anymore...and you kids- you're banned from doing it too!"
In fact loads of blues went watching County on a friday night and and City on a saturday..That was the way I was brought up too, it was affordable then, now it's not!
Look at The Heatons or Gatley, only ten minutes on the bus from Maine Road..
Goes the other way too though as Wythenshawe has a big rag contingent, as Swinton and Salford slum dwellers were moved there in the 30'-50's.
Tameside too has a big City following, look at Hattersley, another Manchester overspill estate...or even Handforth, same again.
If we'd have had the success over the last 20 years that the rags have had we'd have a hell of a lot more fans than they do...and probably as the rags have, they'd be from far and wide.
Just don't rise to their bait, we're bigger than that...It'll take a generation for us to be as big on the worldstage as them and also to win as much as they have since 1990.
Just smile and say "tick tock"....Our day is coming.

this city is ours. this city is ours. fuck off back to norwich. this city is ours.

Not everyone stays in the same place their whole lives. I've got friends who live in Cheadle or Hazel Grove that are originally Mancs yet moved somewhere a bit quieter to raise a Family.

I've been stopped for directions to The Swamp on more than one occasion by people about as local as The Sheikh.

I know, lets start a post about City fans not coming from Stockport, where 80% of the replies are from Blues saying they come from Stockport???

Here's how it goes
South Manchester, Central and Stockport = City
Singapore, North Manchester, Salford and Trafford = Rag

END OF THREAD

My brother is married to a plastic rag and had to laugh when I met her brother and his rag mates out in Heaton Moor recently.
All their family are from the Heatons area and have lived their entire lives and went to both primary and secondary school in areas with SK postcodes.
These rags were calling City 'Stockport bitters' until I asked them to clarify
(1) their own geographic and educational life history
(b) where exactly we were having this conversation and
(c) who the dozen or so lads from Longsight and Levenshulme present in the pub that evening all supported
Cue stunned silence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.