All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

26/1100

1636712173145.png

Terrapin Station is the ninth studio album by the Grateful Dead, released July 27, 1977. It was the first Grateful Dead album on Arista Records and the first studio album after the band returned to live touring, following a nearly two-year hiatus.

The album reached No. 28 on the Billboard Album Chart and achieved gold album status in 1987, after being released for the first time on CD (by Arista Records) following the release of that year's In the Dark. Terrapin Station was remastered and expanded for the Beyond Description (1973–1989) box set in October 2004.

Two singles were released from the album. Davis selected "Dancin' in the Streets" as the first, in a different mix featuring a horn section that Olsen had wanted to add to the album mix. The second single featured "Passenger". Both singles were backed with "Terrapin Station", an excerpt of the album's "Terrapin Part 1" featuring the second section and part of the third (i.e. "Terrapin Station>Terrapin").

1. Estimated Prophet
2. Dancin' in the Streets
3. Passenger
4. Samson & Delilah
5. Sunrise
6. Terrapin Station

Here we go! Review No.26 - a well done to @Mancitydoogle who got it before a few others, it is indeed the Grateful Dead with Terrapin Station - a band I've always heard about but never actually heard.
It kicks off well with 'Estimated Prophet' - such a funky opening hook! and then sounds a bit like Pink Floyd, great riff, great tune - Passenger and Samson & Delilah have a similar feel.
I thought 'Dancin in the Streets' was a weak cover and there's a nice enough song from Donna for Sunrise, but none of these really blew me away...
So then we go to the real heart of the Album, the title track at 16mins long 'Terrapin Station' - I listened to this over and over, firstly to try and understand the story (which I still don't) possibly a spiritual meaning about going to a higher place but even so this is where the poetry of Robert Hunter and the bands chemistry really shines - It's a wonderful composition and medley and after many listens I always found it interesting hearing new elements.
Overall it's not what I expected, I thought this would be more heavy prog/rock and I think this is the case with their earlier stuff, here it's light Pop with more of a reggae influence.
Enjoyable but not enough here to make me a Dead Head fan just yet.

This placed number 848 out of the Top 1000

6/10

Last edited:
Just FYI — as stated, I am no Dead fan, but for those of you “expecting” something, this record does a poor job of reflecting the “sound” of the GD. Try American Beauty (1970) instead.

There are some very strange tunes on this record. As my wife said, “You don’t listen to their records, you listen to their songs.” The GD are far and away pop music’s ultimate mix-tape/live bootleg band.

And definitely “prog” is not them. They’re hippies.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.