All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

First skim listen, it absolutely screams sixties to me, the sound could be from no other decade.
Never heard them before but they remind me of a mixture of the famous bands from that era, and evokes a feeling very much of the time. Nice.

For those who dont know IB were formed in 1966 in San Diego, they released this album in 1968 it was their biggest seller and sometimes referred to as a forerunner to Heavy Rock !
I bought this album on vinyl fucking eons ago, and I regretted it, cost me 32shillings and six pence, that was the price back then in the UK. So an album was a big purchase.
Anyway, Most Anything You Want (as someone alluded too) sounds like a re-write of The Doors Light My Fire, especially at 1:48 where he actually plays the same notes on his organ, think he got carried away and thought he was in a covers band :)
Flowers & Beads is probably my 2nd favourite track on the album, harmonically speaking a bit more interesting than their usual fare.
My Mirage is my favourite here, I like the interesting chords at the intro, I worked them out on my guitar, I get Bm Gmaj9#11->B9 G6 Em6 Em E B Cm B..............and although it goes into a two chord riff (Bm - EM) when the vocals start it the continues to meander into more interesting territory.
Being a Jazzer I like the intro chords very much, is this the only rock song that uses a Gmaj9#11 ? LoL
For the most part the album is riff based and where the album is let down (for me) is it all sounds very much the same, compare it to say The Beatles White Album where every track is so different!
The title track is a cop out for me and why I wished I hadnt bought it, nearly 20 minutes of a riff based song is taking the piss !! Boring as fuck imo.
This is not what Id call value for my hard earned shillings and why I regretted buying it.
I think IB were a decent band but with few idea's. Why didnt they explore more of their My Mirage idea's ??
6/10 from me.

Last edited:
Iron Butterfly
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Don't like the guys voice

First things first, what a set up the band is! The sound they output is beautifully raw but balanced, exactly how you would picture and expect a band of that makeup and era to sound - it's brilliant. If I went back in time to play psychedelic rock, that's pretty much how I want it to sound.

That's enough of the positives (sorry guys ;-) ), how one earth do you go from that brilliant brilliant sound to create something that doesn't excite or go anywhere!?! Riffs are ok-ish (title track aside) throughout but uninspiring.

Probably the most damning and cutting element of this review is that I can sum it up easily off 1 listen. I don't need to revisit any parts to check whether I heard it correctly or whether I am unsure on how likeable some of it it, I have it summed up - It has no depth.

As @Bill Walker as already mentioned, at one point the guy tinkling the faux ivories is literally plagiarising Ray Manzarek (not unlikeable and there are plenty of artists that have an can get away with this, but you immediately pause and go 'did he really just play that?') and on such an iconic melody as well.

We're not going to drag this one out, so let's end where the album does with the title track. Now, I could very easily not be remembering this 100% accurately but the first time I came across this song I am certain that the version I heard was probably around the 5-6-7 minute mark (which lets face it is plenty). So to say I was taken back and slightly horrified that it is now clocking in at just shy of 20 fucking minutes!!!!!!!!

What's that all about - Has the world gone mad?

Did no-one have the foresight to tell them that they have just destroyed the best riff they have on the album (that lovely sounding guitar with the perfect amount of gravel in its make up)? Drum solo's and endless noodling without any hint of direction - no thanks.

Whoever was in the studio with them has done them a great disservice, ' stop that fucking drum solo, go smoke another joint you're done for the day. I'll trim this back to a five minute song and everyone will thank me in 50 years time that they have been given quarter of an hour back into their daily lives'.

Huge disappointment for me, maybe my hopes and expectations were too much coming into this one as I was really looking forward to getting into one of their albums.

They're getting Carly Simon'd with a 3/10. My favourite part of the album was @BlueHammer85 's anecdote on how the guy was too stoned to say 'In the garden of Eden'.

What a landmark week this has been, I have managed to score psychedelic rock lower than Phil Collins - what have I become........... :-(

Last edited:
Iron Butterfly
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Don't like the guys voice

First things first, what a set up the band is! The sound they output is beautifully raw but balanced, exactly how you would picture and expect a band of that makeup and era to sound - it's brilliant. If I went back in time to play psychedelic rock, that's pretty much how I want it to sound.

That's enough of the positives (sorry guys ;-) ), how one earth do you go from that brilliant brilliant sound to create something that doesn't excite or go anywhere!?! Riffs are ok-ish (title track aside) throughout but uninspiring.

Probably the most damning and cutting element of this review is that I can sum it up easily off 1 listen. I don't need to revisit any parts to check whether I heard it correctly or whether I am unsure on how likeable some of it it, I have it summed up - It has no depth.

As @Bill Walker as already mentioned, at one point the guy tinkling the faux ivories is literally plagiarising Ray Manzarek (not unlikeable and there are plenty of artists that have an can get away with this, but you immediately pause and go 'did he really just play that?') and on such an iconic melody as well.

We're not going to drag this one out, so let's end where the album does with the title track. Now, I could very easily not be remembering this 100% accurately but the first time I came across this song I am certain that the version I heard was probably around the 5-6-7 minute mark (which lets face it is plenty). So to say I was taken back and slightly horrified that it is now clocking in at just shy of 20 fucking minutes!!!!!!!!

What's that all about - Has the world gone mad?

Did no-one have the foresight to tell them that they have just destroyed the best riff they have on the album (that lovely sounding guitar with the perfect amount of gravel in its make up)? Drum solo's and endless and noodling without any hint of direction - no thanks.

Whoever was in the studio with them has done them a great disservice, ' stop that fucking drum solo, go smoke another joint you're done for the day. I'll trim this back to a five minute song and everyone will thank me in 50 years time that they have been given quarter of an hour back into their daily lives'.

Huge disappointment for me, maybe my hopes and expectations were too much coming into this one as I was really looking forward to getting into one of their albums.

They're getting Carly Simon'd with a 3/10. My favourite part of the album was @BlueHammer85 's anecdote on how the guy was too stoned to say 'In the garden of Eden'.

What a landmark week this has been, I have managed to score psychedelic rock lower than Phil Collins - what have I become........... :-(

top stuff. You’ve been inspired by fog.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.