All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

27/1100

1637315686936.png

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is the second studio album by the American rock band Iron Butterfly, released in June 1968. It is most known for its title track, a 17-minute composition which occupies the whole of Side B.

The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida LP peaked at number 4 on the Billboard albums chart. It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US, although Billboard does not give any exact sales figures. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue. It was first officially certified a Platinum and 4× Multi-Platinum album in the United States on January 26, 1993

1. Most Anything You Want
2. Flowers and Beads
3. My Mirage
4. Termination
5. Are You Happy
6. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Here we go! Review No.27 - Afraid I'm feeling very rough so this review won't be up to my usual amazing standards.
Well done to @Citizen of Legoland who got it in one, lesson learnt to not go for a Simpsons clue in future.
I've never actually heard of Iron Butterfly so did not know what to expect, once again we have a selection dominated by it's lengthy B side - that's now Terrapin, Foxtrot and this one!
'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' seems to be a well known classic and used in loads of films/commercials etc - I can see why. It has a killer looping solo and has a 2 and a half minute drum solo, amazing use of bass, keyboard and guitar - although personally the song should have ended after the drum solo - there's just nothing but noise for a good 7/8 mins! before the song kicks back in at the end -
Fun Fact; Doug Ingle wrote In A Gadda Da Vida, he was so stoned he couldn't pronounce 'In The Garden Of Eden'

that aside -'Flowers and Beads' has a nice Beatlesque feel to it and 'Are You Happy' is a great rock song with a killer driving riff.
other few are forgettable
Good to hear some 60's psychedelic rock though

This placed number 783 out of the Top 1000

6/10

Last edited:
27/1100

View attachment 30135

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is the second studio album by the American rock band Iron Butterfly, released in June 1968. It is most known for its title track, a 17-minute composition which occupies the whole of Side B.

The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida LP peaked at number 4 on the Billboard albums chart. It sold more than eight million copies within its first year of release, outselling every record in the history of recorded music to that time, and achieved worldwide sales of over 30 million copies. It was the biggest selling album for the year 1969 in the US, although Billboard does not give any exact sales figures. For a number of years it was the biggest selling item in Atlantic Records' catalogue. It was first officially certified a Platinum and 4× Multi-Platinum album in the United States on January 26, 1993

2. Flowers and Beads
3. My Mirage
4. Termination
5. Are You Happy
6. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Here we go! Review No.27 - Afraid I'm feeling very rough so this review won't be up to my usual amazing standards.
Well done to @Citizen of Legoland who got it in one, lesson learnt to not go for a Simpsons clue in future.
I've never actually heard of Iron Butterfly so did not know what to expect, once again we have a selection dominated by it's lengthy B side - that's now Terrapin, Foxtrot and this one!
'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' seems to be a well known classic and used in loads of films/commercials etc - I can see why. It has a killer looping solo and has a 2 and a half minute drum solo, amazing use of bass, keyboard and guitar - although personally the song should have ended after the drum solo - there's just nothing but noise for a good 7/8 mins! before the song kicks back in at the end -
Fun Fact; Doug Ingle wrote In A Gadda Da Vida, he was so stoned he couldn't pronounce 'In The Garden Of Eden'

that aside -'Flowers and Beads' has a nice Beatlesque feel to it and 'Are You Happy' is a great rock song with a killer driving riff.

6/10

Top stats that BH;

'Doug Ingle wrote In A Gadda Da Vida, he was so stoned he couldn't pronounce 'In The Garden Of Eden'

Like that one a lot........... :-)

27/1100

View attachment 30135

2. Flowers and Beads
3. My Mirage
4. Termination
5. Are You Happy
6. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

6/10

Your review about sums it up; although I'd says Flowers is hippy MOR. Most anything you want reminds me a bit of The Doors.

This is an album that I have on cd and it is all about the title song, which deserves its classic status.

The 1 point for side 1 and 5 for the 2nd works for me:

6/10

Your review about sums it up; although I'd says Flowers is hippy MOR. Most anything you want reminds me a bit of The Doors.

This is an album that I have on cd and it is all about the title song, which deserves its classic status.

6/10
So..............6 out of 20? ;-)

Listened to this yesterday and, compared to quite a few that have come up on here recently, it's like a breath of fresh air. I love the trippy 60s organ and it reminded me a lot of The Doors. Most tracks are half-decent, especially the opener and the first half of the title track.

Interesting how @BlueHammer85 says that they should have ended the track after the drum solo. I think they should have ended it before the drum solo because two and a half minutes of clattering about did nothing for me and what followed wasn't much better.

Still, in a world where 8s, 9s and 10s are thin on the ground at the moment, it's definitely worth a solid 7/10.

Listened to this yesterday and, compared to quite a few that have come up on here recently, it's like a breath of fresh air. I love the trippy 60s organ and it reminded me a lot of The Doors. Most tracks are half-decent, especially the opener and the first half of the title track.

Interesting how @BlueHammer85 says that they should have ended the track after the drum solo. I think they should have ended it before the drum solo because two and a half minutes of clattering about did nothing for me and what followed wasn't much better.

Still, in a world where 8s, 9s and 10s are thin on the ground at the moment, it's definitely worth a solid 7/10.
Yeh not really one for the drum solo myself - more a Keith Moon disciple where the entire song is treated as one prolonged drum solo..............

Between the two threads, we’ve had an awful lot of records with songs lasting well over ten minutes, and in each of the last three, entire sides of records. I’m looking forward to hearing some albums where the songs are 2-5 minutes long like they’re supposed to be.

Says the guy who writes reviews it takes 10+ minutes to read :)

6/10
Fuckers, I am now going to award points per song out to three decimal places; that’ll learn ya :)

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.