Alvarez replacement thread

Absolutely essential we addresss this need before Friday as going in with 1 striker into a crammed schedule is foolish in the extreme. It's nailed on Haaland will pick up a knock or sadly worse, and we would then be left scratching our heads wondering why we didn't plan for it.

Reminds me of 2019/20 when we desperately needed a quality Centre half after Vinny left. We didn't address it, Laporte got injured and it absolutely kyboshed our chances of the Title or CL as a result. Hope we've learned from that and have some sort of a plan here as we've trousered £170m and basically spent next to nothing.

Absolutely essential we addresss this need before Friday as going in with 1 striker into a crammed schedule is foolish in the extreme. It's nailed on Haaland will pick up a knock or sadly worse, and we would then be left scratching our heads wondering why we didn't plan for it.

Reminds me of 2019/20 when we desperately needed a quality Centre half after Vinny left. We didn't address it, Laporte got injured and it absolutely kyboshed our chances of the Title or CL as a result. Hope we've learned from that and have some sort of a plan here as we've trousered £170m and basically spent next to nothing.

Agreed

Its clearly not that simple is it.

It really is. Alvarez left weeks ago and the club - we are told regularly - has a list of 3/4 targets and possible additions at each position. The moneys there, the scouting is there, and the time has been there. It can be addressed but they just haven't done it yet. They'll regret it if they don't.

We've likely very little time left with Pep at the reigns so to leave something like this to chance would be foolhardy.

The fact that we aren't looking for a world superstar either should make it an even easier need to fill.

Exactly this. We probably could do with a back up to Haaland, but finding a player whose willing to maybe play 10/12 games season or a few more IF Earling is out for a number of games is not easy. Thought it was telling that in his press conference Friday Pep mentioned Gundo can play a false nine. I reckon if we did lose Haaland for any length of time then Gundo will be used. At least until January when the kid from River Plate comes. I think that young lad from West Ham might in around the first team from time to time too.

Will have to don my full-body Kevlar for this one, I’m sure, but I’d actually be tempted to go for Sancho. I know, I know, I know, but please bear with me. Putting aside the fact that he walked from us, the fact that he appears to be a 24 karat walloper, and the fact that he has now danced with the devil- and I recognise that is a terrible lot to ask- he actually remains a really talented footballer and one that could be got relatively cheaply.

I watched Dortmund’s Champions League games last season and he was instrumental in getting them, a workmanlike them, to the final, and that was after having played precious little football earlier in the season. In the plus column, he knows our system, knows many of our players, can play in multiple positions, and already has an almost telepathic understanding with Haaland. It won’t happen, of course, but forgiveness doesn’t have to be divine, and I wouldn’t mind him having his last chance saloon with us. Talking of which, where did I leave my methylated spirits?…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.