Alvaro Negredo - How do you remember him?

The outside of the boot pass has been mentioned already. A pass of pure beauty!

I loved the way he nonchalantly swaggered (Gallagheresque!) over a pass and turned it into a dummy for Kun to run onto and score from. Never seen anything like it, before or since.

For 6 months he was incredible, peak Shearer levels. Big, strong, useful in the air, scoring for fun, great partnership with Sergio. Then fell on his shoulder in a game he didnt need to play in and it all fizzled out and he didnt make WC squad.Luckily Dzeko stepped up at the end of the season with some important goals.
Very similar goals against spurs and bayern were top class.
Hasnt really set the world on fire since leaving so as has been suggested maybe the stars aligned for him for a spell and he played above his natural abilities for that time. Lge and lge cup winner with us, sold at a profit, has to go down as a successful signing.

As many have already said, that initial half a season in 13/14 he was incredible. His performance in the 4-1 home Derby felt like he had single handedly ended Vidic’s United career. Distinctly remember him swatting Vidic away before spinning to cross to Aguero for our third, and it felt like he beat him to every header throughout.

Who knows what would have been if both him and Aguero hadn’t both got those injuries during that week in January 2014 (West Ham in the cup then Spurs away!), but nonetheless thank god for Dzeko after that!

Loved him. The best strike partner Sergio had. As many have mentioned, never the same when he got that injury.

I think most City fans tend to look more fondly on title wins 1, 3 and 4 than 2 which is probably a reason why he's not spoken about enough. Gets forgotten a bit how good Nasri was at times that season, and when called upon Javi Garcia did the business for us in the run in.

For 6 months he was incredible, peak Shearer levels. Big, strong, useful in the air, scoring for fun, great partnership with Sergio. Then fell on his shoulder in a game he didnt need to play in and it all fizzled out and he didnt make WC squad.Luckily Dzeko stepped up at the end of the season with some important goals.
Very similar goals against spurs and bayern were top class.
Hasnt really set the world on fire since leaving so as has been suggested maybe the stars aligned for him for a spell and he played above his natural abilities for that time. Lge and lge cup winner with us, sold at a profit, has to go down as a successful signing.
Think this is absolutely bang on.

I’m gutted that Pellers played him in that game, who knows where his confidence could have got him before the injury.

Half a season player that for some reason caused misty eye syndrome with a lot of City supporters at the time(like that other clown and Bony after that). I still cringe and all those shouts at Etihad 'Beat, beast,...' every time he touched a ball, proving in the end he wasn't the beast at all. He made a massive personal mistake coming to EPL, because it basically destroyed his career as a serious football player. And he brought the end of Edin with us.

My daughter still has a Negredo poster on her wall.

But there were two Negredos:

- pre-injury he was rampant with confidence and swagger, and everything he hit seemed to fly in - joy to watch

- post-injury he had zero confidence and couldn't score whatever he tried. I remember one game, he was clean through with only the keeper to beat - twice - and the whole crowd was willing him to score ... but somehow he over-thought & fluffed both.

So bitter-sweet memories, looking back ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.